ID Requested in Hudson Valley NY

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

HudsonAnt

ID Requested in Hudson Valley NY

Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:19 pm

Hi everyone, I live in the Hudson Valley in New York, and I found a sizable ant inside the house in either May or June. After some googling it seemed like it may be a queen, so following some of the advice on tube setups I found, I placed it inside a plastic tube I had around the house on a whim.

Unfortunately the tube is opaque, but I noticed that it was in fact laying eggs. After a while I transferred the tube to one of the small ant towers I bought here. The queen then barricaded herself in with the sand. Maybe a week or two ago the first workers busted out from within. And just today the opening was bigger and I see maybe 4 or 5 workers.

I have tried to google what kind of ants they are, but without luck. I do see on one of the workers three very vivid white stripes. I am hoping this picture may help to identify them. It should be high enough resolution to get a clean zoom. I would appreciate any help in ID. Thank you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vdEll9w7Lo3wIcNeFGsJnAVZ57ZD9eZL/view?usp=drivesdk

RubyAntKeeper77

Re: ID Requested in Hudson Valley NY

Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:46 pm

I think they are sugar ants. Or maybe black carpenter ants.

Try feeding them a drop of honey on a piece of aluminum foil the size of a penny or quarter.
Why don’t more people like ants?
Is anyone from Wyoming who wants to sell ants?

You can email me about ants at Tucker.reynolds13@gmail.com