Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Naoki2023

Need Queen and and workers ID, from Malaysia

Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:06 pm

Size: workers about 6mm, queen about 15mm
When: 2 July 23
Where: Malaysia, Klang
Appearance: Queen body whole black but the wing still attached can't get clear view but from bottom view its yellow. Workers are yellow i thought this colony will be Albosparsus but the workers all came out yellow. don't see any black marking.
Behaviour: They look relax not aggressive when moving them around. Very protective workers to the queen and the queen won't move from the breeding spot or where the brood and eggs are.

not sure is this camponotus arrogans?

Picture(s):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HMoZ_-PQNC2AmKPwjiq_pSFY7RvnBPaH/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qlaty_ZaczTUDS7Y_ZlK6GMSlFVaSff8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WwZ8SYcihXv-JRvGzUJocfcapBdjLLBR/view?usp=sharing

SYUTEO

Re: Need Queen and and workers ID, from Malaysia

Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:05 am

These are Camponotus irritans, callows are often yellow in colour but they'll get darker as their exoskeleton hardens.

Naoki2023

Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:13 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:05 am
These are Camponotus irritans, callows are often yellow in colour but they'll get darker as their exoskeleton hardens.
Thanks a lot!

AntsAreCool715

Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:27 am

Good job on the ant colony! Hope your colony continues growing. For some reason, my Camponotus queen will always stop laying eggs after the nanitic batch of ants. They always go very well but then they will die out. Can somebody tell me why this is the case? Will be thankful for any help you guys can give, thanks!
I have found more queens!
-Polyrhachis laevissima (left only queen)
-Pheidole parva (TOO MUCH)
-Iridomyrmex Anceps
-Polyrhachis dives
Hope to catch camponotus soon...

SYUTEO

Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:03 pm

AntsAreCool715 wrote:
Good job on the ant colony! Hope your colony continues growing. For some reason, my Camponotus queen will always stop laying eggs after the nanitic batch of ants. They always go very well but then they will die out. Can somebody tell me why this is the case? Will be thankful for any help you guys can give, thanks!
Did you feed them? Did you put them in the dark? Many people did say Camponotus can get used to light but they won't lay eggs in the light for me.

AntsAreCool715

Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:29 am

SYUTEO wrote:
AntsAreCool715 wrote:
Did you feed them? Did you put them in the dark? Many people did say Camponotus can get used to light but they won't lay eggs in the light for me.
I fed them honey, jelly, or sugar water. Sometimes I will get lucky and find a baby roach, which I will feed to them. But I can't remember the details, it has been almost 1 year since they died out. The queen is still alive. I put them under a red film but afterwards I move them to a setup that is exposed to light. It never occurred to me that they couldn't dig in beach sand. I put sea shells for them to live in but the sand kept undermining their brood, and afterwards, they died out. My queen also didn't lay any eggs after wards. Very sad. It was one of my favourite colonies.
-Iridomyrmex Anceps
-Polyrhachis dives

SYUTEO

Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:15 pm

AntsAreCool715 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
AntsAreCool715 wrote:
I fed them honey, jelly, or sugar water. Sometimes I will get lucky and find a baby roach, which I will feed to them. But I can't remember the details, it has been almost 1 year since they died out. The queen is still alive. I put them under a red film but afterwards I move them to a setup that is exposed to light. It never occurred to me that they couldn't dig in beach sand. I put sea shells for them to live in but the sand kept undermining their brood, and afterwards, they died out. My queen also didn't lay any eggs after wards. Very sad. It was one of my favourite colonies.
If they are only fed protein once in a while they will get malnurished and the queen needs protein to lay eggs. Next time don't use beach sand as substrate and instead use a proper soil for them, I use coco peat but any kind of soil works, you also need to pack it down for them to dig their tunnels properly.

AntsAreCool715

Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:15 am

SYUTEO wrote:
AntsAreCool715 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

If they are only fed protein once in a while they will get malnurished and the queen needs protein to lay eggs. Next time don't use beach sand as substrate and instead use a proper soil for them, I use coco peat but any kind of soil works, you also need to pack it down for them to dig their tunnels properly.
Ok. I will do so. Will black soil work too? My mom does not allow me to buy coco peat. Also, can I find Ytong or AAC anywhere in Ipoh, Malaysia? Thanks!
-Iridomyrmex Anceps
-Polyrhachis dives

SYUTEO

Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:26 am

AntsAreCool715 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
AntsAreCool715 wrote:

Ok. I will do so. Will black soil work too? My mom does not allow me to buy coco peat. Also, can I find Ytong or AAC anywhere in Ipoh, Malaysia? Thanks!
Yes, black soil should work as well. I don't know where you can find ytong in Ipoh since I live in Klang but you can try searching around on Google.

AntsAreCool715

Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:11 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:26 am
AntsAreCool715 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

Yes, black soil should work as well. I don't know where you can find ytong in Ipoh since I live in Klang but you can try searching around on Google.
Ok I will try.
By the way, I went to Klang to visit someone last time and I saw a lot of roundabouts. Even roundabouts in roundabouts. Amazing place. Thanks SYUTEO!
-Iridomyrmex Anceps
-Polyrhachis dives