Need help ID ant from Malaysia

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Naoki2023

Need help ID ant from Malaysia

Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:46 am

Sorry, first time using this posting method. If there any mistake do let me know.

Size: workers about 4mm, queen about 8mm
When: Early May
Where: Malaysia, Klang
Appearance: Queen gaster has pale white bands. whole body total black. Workers are black too but after some drink the gaster bloated as in the picture.
Behaviour: got her from my garden was about 4 queens but came back from a holiday only left 1. Seems like garden ants but not quite sure the exact species. lasius?

Picture(s):

[ URL2]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FWC3ULf4Nz6KEMTnaz8br0v0C90ksuAQ/view?usp=sharing[ /URL2]

[ URL2]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TVi4m1reFCn-ylncEe2QMuNubBJAy3hk/view?usp=sharing[ /URL2]

SYUTEO

Re: Need help ID ant from Malaysia

Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:06 am

They are black crazy ants (Paratrechina longicornis), they have those white stripes because their gasters are full of food.

Naoki2023

Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:06 am
They are black crazy ants (Paratrechina longicornis), they have those white stripes because their gasters are full of food.
Thanks a lot.

Naoki2023

Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:58 am

Size: Queen about 12mm
When: 14/6/23 Today was raining yesterday and decided to put black light to see if i'm lucky or not.
Where: Malaysia, Klang
Appearance: Queen body is black with slight red at the joint of the body and legs part. Not sure why what it is but there is a yellow marking if see from bottom view.
Behaviour: Quite calm when not disturb or slight touch. might be too tired. also about to lay egg?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fKdZfv4G-Kox5_9fsqmvxG6C27gNzbaa/view?usp=sharing
The clearest i have of her but the problem is can't see the red part of the body and leg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FrF9RG47HcMXeCWa0AHSzR1k3_sELqb9/view?usp=sharing
Cleaning or licking the gaster? going to lay egg soon?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1__YOGXMQ3c_udLoRD_AcwnEgM1Ys7SGt/view?usp=sharing
sorry for the blur pic, that is the best i can get. the yellow marking.

I'm not sure this queen are they the same species as the pic below?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CMn9Kl839eYXOtTWKNCn6z6MTFuMe0R7/view?usp=sharing
Camponotus albosparsus: only know the worker with 2 or 4 white dots at the gaster. For the queen it is hard for me to differentiate which species they are.

SYUTEO

Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:13 pm

Are they all the same ant? If they are, they're probably Camponotus albosparsus, this may change when your queen gets workers because the queens of C. albosparsus and C. irritans are quite similar while the workers differ a lot, the only difference between the queens that I know is C. irritans queens are larger. If the first pic is a different ant from the others then it's probably Iridomyrmex.

Naoki2023

Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:02 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Are they all the same ant? If they are, they're probably Camponotus albosparsus, this may change when your queen gets workers because the queens of C. albosparsus and C. irritans are quite similar while the workers differ a lot, the only difference between the queens that I know is C. irritans queens are larger. If the first pic is a different ant from the others then it's probably Iridomyrmex.
Nope, 3 links above are 1 queen just caught it. The last link or the most bottom one is Camponotus albosparsus as you said but still a new colony. I'm trying to compare the new queen and the queen with worker to find for any different but my phone camera is just unable to catch a good picture or i don't know how to position the lighting. i can get better pic during bright day but not with the bulb lighting.

I think i'll just check back when the first worker emerge easier that way. :D

SYUTEO

Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:42 am

Naoki2023 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Nope, 3 links above are 1 queen just caught it. The last link or the most bottom one is Camponotus albosparsus as you said but still a new colony. I'm trying to compare the new queen and the queen with worker to find for any different but my phone camera is just unable to catch a good picture or i don't know how to position the lighting. i can get better pic during bright day but not with the bulb lighting.

They probably are the same since C. irritans queens usually get up to 1.5cm long. Check the workers just in case though.

Naoki2023

Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:17 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:42 am
Naoki2023 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

They probably are the same since C. irritans queens usually get up to 1.5cm long. Check the workers just in case though.
Thanks for the info, will do some comparison this weekend. Took them out few days back just notice no egg on the new queen. might be unfertilized queen... but will bring them out and compare the queens sizes.