ANt ID request

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

TodoLinuxVidz

ANt ID request

Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:50 pm

Size: Approx 17mm
When: <Found April 14, 3pm>
Where: <In a rural area. Appalachian mountain Virginia about 10 miles from Shenandoah river )>
Appearance: <Mostly black but has a slight amber color>
Behaviour: <She didnt like being in the test tube, and was eating away at the cotton. So I added an additional chamber to give her choices. With the additional chamber she ripped her wings off and laid two eggs, third the second day.>
Picture(s):
Additionally:
For whatever reason I kept finding what I suspected was Camponotus pennsylvanicus queens getting into my house. None of those seemed to have gone on their nuptial flight.
And one day I was out on my elevated deck watching some bees bounce off each other. And then I felt something slap against my chest and looked down and saw a queen ant. Since it was out flying I thought there was a chance she went on her nuptial flight. She didnt like being in the test tube, and was eating away at the cotton. So I added an additional chamber to give her choices. With the additional chamber she ripped her wings off and laid two eggs, third the second day.

I hope the one picture I added is enough to approximate ID. I dont want to pester her too much since I was unsuccessful last year establishing a colony. Last year my nuptial flight captures ended up eating all their eggs and then dying. (I think cause I was checking on their progress too frequently. This one is more amber than the jet black Camponotus pennsylvanicus I got last year.

antperson24

Re: ANt ID request

Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:31 pm

She is Camponotus pennsylvanicus. Try getting a dryer test tube, Camponotus like it dry. Also heat is really beneficial.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN