I need help identifying my queen. She gets stressed easily, she is about 2-3 cm long.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need help identifying my queen. She gets stressed easily, she is about 2-3 cm long.

Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:33 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:23 am
Hey,

About the honey, usually it's fine but if she is camponotus she doesn't need feeding. If I remember correctly they are fully claustral.
Not sure why but normally someone would have given some ID already. Will have a look and check with them. ;)

If you want to clean up honey, just grad a piece of toilet paper and tweezers and sweep it up with with the toilet paper around the tweezers. That's how I usually do it. ;)
Alright thanks for the advice, yes I know Camponotus is fully claustral, however I am not sure what her species is and so far I have only been looking into and comparing camponotus to her. Maybe I'll be able to get a better understanding of her species when the first nanitics arrive. I do plan on giving her some protein after the fist nanitics arrive, and maybe some more honey to fuel the workers.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Re: I need help identifying my queen. She gets stressed easily, she is about 2-3 cm long.

Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:48 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:16 am
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:51 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:20 am
Ah ok so that's how I get photos to be reviewed, I thought I had to get it in this website somehow.
Link: https://imgur.com/gallery/lHNgGXG
She's a real beauty. :)
I know currently there are optimisations to be made for users to help them post pictures and I'm working on improvements with some trusted users but it takes time since I do this in my spare time.

I permitted myself to also fix your post and turn the link into a clickable link. ;)

I guess one of the others will have a look at this. :)
I know I'm starting to clutter this place, but I think I found her species or something close to it anyway. "Camponotus Auriventis" their an Asian based ant species that look very similar to my queen. If you read this, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
She's not C. auriventris, she's C. parius. They look similar but C. auriventris has the body shape of C. singularis and is larger. C. parius has the body shape of most other Camponotus and is smaller.

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:11 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:48 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:16 am
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:51 am

She's a real beauty. :)
I know currently there are optimisations to be made for users to help them post pictures and I'm working on improvements with some trusted users but it takes time since I do this in my spare time.

I permitted myself to also fix your post and turn the link into a clickable link. ;)

I guess one of the others will have a look at this. :)
I know I'm starting to clutter this place, but I think I found her species or something close to it anyway. "Camponotus Auriventis" their an Asian based ant species that look very similar to my queen. If you read this, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
She's not C. auriventris, she's C. parius. They look similar but C. auriventris has the body shape of C. singularis and is larger. C. parius has the body shape of most other Camponotus and is smaller.
Just did a search and the workers look so much like the workers I see running about along the side walk when I look for dealates, that makes so much sense. Thank you very much for helping me ID her. I'm in debt to you.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:44 am

I have done research about C. parius, and they said preferred food are dipterans. And I would love feeding every mosquito in my house to my ants, I fear they may have pesticides, which I know can kill my whole colony before it even really started. So as an alternative can I feed them locally bought mealworms, superworms and cockroaches?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:16 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
I have done research about C. parius, and they said preferred food are dipterans. And I would love feeding every mosquito in my house to my ants, I fear they may have pesticides, which I know can kill my whole colony before it even really started. So as an alternative can I feed them locally bought mealworms, superworms and cockroaches?
Of course you can, I used to keep C. parius and they ate just about anything I give them.

JaydenScheepers

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:18 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:16 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Of course you can, I used to keep C. parius and they ate just about anything I give them.
Alright thanks. I'm currently watching my queen eating a part of a meal worm. I know it's unnecessary, but it would surely help her provide for her young, maybe I'll see majors early on.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:59 am

Hello again, while looking for isopods and springtails I found something. I don't know what exactly she is, but I know she's a insect, hoping she's a queen ant. If you hop on can you please try a shot at ID-ing her?

Link to image: https://imgur.com/gallery/cGUE3Aq
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

AM1C39

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:02 am

She does appear to be an ant, but I can't tell if she is a queen or not. Can you try taking a clearer photo of her thorax?
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:32 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:02 am
She does appear to be an ant, but I can't tell if she is a queen or not. Can you try taking a clearer photo of her thorax?
Thanks, but you needn't worry. She's been identified as Pseudoneoponera, however if you want a shot at ID-ing her exact species then I'll try to get a better photo for you. Apparently some members in this genus can have both queens and gamergates. Mine doesn't look like a queen, her thorax is not very big and I can't spot any wing scars. However gamergates in this genus only mate males form her own colony. So in theory, if I care for her in this test-tube for long enough she should lay unfertilized eggs, which turn into males, males mate with her, and the first few workers would be able to emerge.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:56 pm

Hello, I've gotten a new ant in need of ID. I suspect they might be a species of fire ant. Thier very small, about 5 to 7mm. Thorax and head is dark redish in color, and the gaster is black. Nuptial flight took place at round 8 pm, in Thailand, on a tropical island known as Phuket. Sorry for the bad quality photo, I did my best with what I had, I ordered a lense to help me with this, however that thing is garbage. I got four of them, two broke off thier wings, and it looked like some layed some eggs, although it's hard to see because, their so small. I put two in separate test-tubes, and the other two in one. Link: https://imgur.com/gallery/wId2DqH
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1