ID#5 Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

ID#5 Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Just found this ant, I think it is Camponotus, I'm very noob but I did some a search and found out that it might be
"Camponotus rufipes". It has kinda red legs.
Sad part: I had to realease my unidentified tiny ant, but I think that this one will be better.
Sad/Good part: there's ants like this one EVERY WHERE found more than 5 in a very short period of time, when I was taking the photos one with wings flew on me :o :o

Photos:

pedrovicentebp

Re: ID#5 Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:48 pm

yes it is camponotus but i dont know exactly oh men you are lucky to live in brazil theres a HUGE biodiversity of ants in there :geek:

JPSMedeiros

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Thanks with the ID, it's fully claustral ?
The ant biodiversity is good but that brings some spiders and things tha stings :lol: Killed a very big spider last night, didn't thing about taking and then feeding parts of it to my ants =/

pedrovicentebp

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

JPSMedeiros wrote:Thanks with the ID, it's fully claustral ?
The ant biodiversity is good but that brings some spiders and things tha stings :lol: Killed a very big spider last night, didn't thing about taking and then feeding parts of it to my ants =/
i do not have experience with camponotus but i think that it is fully claustral beacuse if you look to hes mid section it is bigger than the normal ,i think i am not sure

and yes you have a lot of things that stings but it is basically free ant food :) :lol:

men you should do a journal of your pachycondyla they are amazing :idea: :)

JPSMedeiros

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:14 pm

I was thinking about that =D I need to say a lot of what i'm doing so I don't feel that I'm doing all wrong, and I think that this kind of ant is kind of rare for most of the guys in North America, etc maybe It would be good. I'll do that =D thanks for the support.

pedrovicentebp

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:19 pm

JPSMedeiros wrote:I was thinking about that =D I need to say a lot of what i'm doing so I don't feel that I'm doing all wrong, and I think that this kind of ant is kind of rare for most of the guys in North America, etc maybe It would be good. I'll do that =D thanks for the support.
yes they are rare and Awesome they are just huge primitive ants :lol:

here i find a bit of info for you i use this page to identify or try to identify or know more about my ants 8-)
http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Pachycondyla

JPSMedeiros

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:40 am

It is fully claustral ? (Just to be sure).

Batspiderfish

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:17 am

Yup!
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.