Two Queen ID (Singapore) South East Asia

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

zpiter

Two Queen ID (Singapore) South East Asia

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:24 am

Hi guys, I caught this queen last month 10th July, and she just got her nantics tonight.
Queen is around 5mm in length, while the nantics are around 1-2mm in length.

The second queen I caught in mid July as well, She has lots of workers by now. I am guessing she is a Crematogaster sp. but I don't know what species she is.
Queen is 6mm in legth, workers are 2mm in length.

Batspiderfish

Re: Two Queen ID (Singapore) South East Asia

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the first queen is Technomyrmex sp., probably a light color morph of T. difficilis.

I'm not sure about the Crematogaster.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

zpiter

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:39 am

Thanks, I just figure out the first one is Tapinoma melanocephalum, or common call ghost ants.

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 am

zpiter wrote:Thanks, I just figure out the first one is Tapinoma melanocephalum, or common call ghost ants.
Did you get them identified somewhere else? Because the first queen looks too hairy to be Tapinoma. Can we get a picture of the end of the gaster?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

zpiter

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:40 am

Just feed them honey, so their gasters are huge.
I hope those photos will help in ID this queen. I'm having a hard time ID queens.

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:50 am

Close! But the tip of the gaster is either not in focus or not in the shot for any of these.

MCWren

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Close! But the tip of the gaster is either not in focus or not in the shot for any of these.
What other ants have clear gasters like that?

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Sorry! Nix the request for photographs of the gaster. I forgot that Technomyrmex is in the same Dolichoderinae subfamily as Tapinoma, so we will not be finding the acidepore I was looking for that would indicate the Formicinae subfamily. :D

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 pm

MCWren wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:Close! But the tip of the gaster is either not in focus or not in the shot for any of these.
What other ants have clear gasters like that?
Tapinoma melanocephalum is famous for its pale and translucent gaster, but it is not the only ant that has one like that. The standing hairs all over the gaster tell me that this is not Tapinoma melanocephalum, which only have fine, appressed hairs an all but the last tergite.

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Sorry! Nix the request for photographs of the gaster. I forgot that Technomyrmex is in the same Dolichoderinae subfamily as Tapinoma, so we will not be finding the acidepore I was looking for that would indicate the Formicinae subfamily. :D
Scratch that -- I would like to determine whether it is Dolichoderinae or Formicinae. I am not overly familiar with the ants of South-East Asia.