Two Queen ID (Singapore) South East Asia

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Two Queen ID (Singapore) South East Asia

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:11 pm

https://www.antweb.org/specimenImages.do?name=focol0181&countryName=Malaysia
I'm seeing that the hairy, normally brown Technomyrmex spp. can have blonde color morphs. I am still thinking about this one, but my gut is telling me Technomyrmex.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

zpiter

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:39 am

Batspiderfish wrote:https://www.antweb.org/specimenImages.do?name=focol0181&countryName=Malaysia
I'm seeing that the hairy, normally brown Technomyrmex spp. can have blonde color morphs. I am still thinking about this one, but my gut is telling me Technomyrmex.
Lol! Well, thanks alot for the help man. I always have a hard time ID-ing ants in my country as out there isn't much forums are familiar with Asian ants. The only one forum I found is from Taiwan.

zpiter

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:40 am

Batspiderfish wrote:https://www.antweb.org/specimenImages.do?name=focol0181&countryName=Malaysia
https://www.antweb.org/bigPicture.do?name=casent0767668&shot=d&number=1

It is pretty close I must said. Hmm.

Mdrogun

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:00 pm

I've kept Tapinoma sessile and the first queen seems to have too big of a gaster and she seems too fat in general. Even the Tapinoma sessile queens in large colonies weren't bloated with eggs or food.

zpiter

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:35 pm

Mdrogun wrote:I've kept Tapinoma sessile and the first queen seems to have too big of a gaster and she seems too fat in general. Even the Tapinoma sessile queens in large colonies weren't bloated with eggs or food.
The first post of the first queen she isn't fed at all for months. While the second post of her, I fed her honey, so maybe that's why it is bloated. I have been search on the web, don't really seem to find any sp close to her, other than tapinoma melanocephalum.

zpiter

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Will the photo of the workers help in ID the sp? If so then I will take some photo of it.

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:45 pm

zpiter wrote:Will the photo of the workers help in ID the sp? If so then I will take some photo of it.
It might.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

zpiter

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:42 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
zpiter wrote:Will the photo of the workers help in ID the sp? If so then I will take some photo of it.
It might.

Hope it helps.

MCWren

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:27 pm

What beautiful ants! (I feel like that must be read in an old Jewish lady voice. "Oh my gawd, yaw ants are so beautiful!")

zpiter

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:39 am

MCWren wrote:What beautiful ants! (I feel like that must be read in an old Jewish lady voice. "Oh my gawd, yaw ants are so beautiful!")
Thanks. :)

Anyway, it rained yesterday and I caught few more of this sp of queen, but they more much darker than my first queen in this post. Should wait till the first nantic came and we will know what sp she is. :D