Small species, any ideas?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

toepick

Small species, any ideas?

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:32 pm

My phone doesn't take good close ups, so here is a little video clip.. the lighting gets a bit better at the end.

Found queen about 2 months ago, Westchester, NY area. Was going to work early in the morning and she was stuck to the dew on my car..so rescued and set up in the tube. Small queen, that is an AntsCanada test tube for size comparison. At first I thought Crematogaster as I seem to find a lot of those around but clearly she is not. Than thought maybe a Lasius but maybe too small? Not sure. Anyways.. here is the video link and Thank you!

https://youtu.be/2RuLndigfD0

Ps..Short video of one of my Crematogaster colonies on my channel as well.

antnest8

Re: Small species, any ideas?

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:45 pm

It is defenitly tetremorium. It could be pheidole but i found several of my tetremorium on my car just like yours. Plus tetremorium are more common. Good catch! I have tetremorium myself! They are fun because they grow fast
And eat just about everything.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

toepick

Re: Small species, any ideas?

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Thank you!!! Boy you are right about growing fast!!! Checked on her after a couple weeks and she had a huge brood going..couple more weeks and 5 or 5 nanatics(?).. now theres like 10-15.. they are very active and curious.. plugged them into a little micro and they have already explored the whole thing lol

Will post a new video of the move in.