Possible Parasitic Formica Queen found in Washington State

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

GrantandAnts

Possible Parasitic Formica Queen found in Washington State

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Hey everyone, today I was walking my neighbors dog when I came upon quite an interesting sight. What I originally thought was a Formica Obscuripes worker might be a parasitic queen! :lol: I thought it was a bit odd that it was wondering so far from the nest (it was about 300 feet away), and it was alone, so I picked it up and saw its enlarged thorax, it would be great to get an id on this possible queen.

Thanks

Some pictures (Sorry for bad quality, it loves to run around)
https://ibb.co/cx5v2YV
https://ibb.co/H7NnkN3

GrantandAnts

Re: Possible Parasitic Formica Queen found in Washington State

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:24 pm

I've done some more research and it is most diffidently a queen, it seems to be Formica Ravida from the Rufa group! I have figured out that the queen is parasitic and requires host workers to start it's colony. I have since given one of the queens (yes, I caught another one), 3 workers from what I assume is her original colony and they have gotten together splendidly. At first they had some minor aggression but they are now getting together as if she raised them herself. The other queen I have given one pupae from the colony, and she is tending to it. I have given them both protein (in the form of small meal worms), and carbohydrates (in the form of sugar water). If you guys think I should start a journal on my ants I will do so. I keep Camp. Pennsylvanicus, Camp. Noveboracensis, Unidentified Camp. Sp., Lasius Niger, Tetramorium Sp., Formica Ravida (of course), and Formica Rufibarbis.