Help with Maine ant ID

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Water4

Help with Maine ant ID

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:56 am

I found this colony 2 days ago. They were in a 2 inch White Birch limb laying on the forest floor. I peeled back a strip of the bark and found many larva. Within less than 2 minutes the colony had moved all the larva deeper into the branch; and were scurrying all around the leafy forest floor looking for the enemy.
I left the colony alone until morning. When I returned I put the end of the birch limb in to a 2 gallon plastic jar and cut off the other end and secured the screw on cap. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the jar just above the top of the limb and connected a darkened Omni Nest. As I slowly flooded the jar with water the ant moved to the new formicarium.
Once the birch limb had been totally submerged for about an hour I disconnected the jar from the Omni Nest and looked for a queen. No queen was to be found, but I did have about 80 or so ants and their brood; and MAYBE a queen I was not seeing.
The next morning I went to clean out the 2 gallon jar and discovered there were still live ants in the jar after being submerged for an hour. I tore the soggy wood limb in half and discovered that the majority of the colony was still alive and well. OK, so I reconnected a darkened test tube setup, vented the jar and set it in the direct sun. By the end of the day I had witnessed the workers move hundreds of eggs, larva, and themselves into the test tube, but still no sign of a queen. I attached the test tube to the Omni Nest, and began once again to clean the debris out of the collection jar. From underneath one little piece of wood scurried A QUEEN! I guess she was going down with the ship. I scooped her up and dropped her into the Omni Nest out-world. She was immediately surrounded by workers. The workers literally dragged her by the head, down the stairs and into one of the chambers by a hydration cell where they had begun to store the eggs and larva.
So, after 2 day I have a nice colony of 200-400 +ants with their queen and brood in a new Omni Nest large. Problem is, I do not have any good magnification apparatus yet, and I am not sure what I've got.
They are 4-6 mm long, with the queen not a lot larger, maybe 10 mm. Black on top but dark brown underneath and tip of gaster.
Any ID info is greatly appreciated. Any care suggestions?
Thank you.

Batspiderfish

Re: Help with Maine ant ID

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:22 am

Aphaenogaster sp. They look a lot like Aphaenogaster picea from here, but there's no way to tell for sure without a close look at the head and thorax.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Water4

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Thank you Batspiderfish. I think you may be correct.Image

Water4

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:54 pm

Just drop the queen in.

Water4

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Introducing the "submarine crew" to the nest.

Water4

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Had 2 winged ants hatch today.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Changing my answer to Aphaenogaster fulva. I can't quite see the mesonotal peak, but the propodeal spines look too long for them to be Aphaenogaster rudis or Aphaenogaster picea.

Nice pictures! :D
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Actually, what county do you live in? I didn't realize Aphaenogaster fulva had such a limited range in Maine.

Aphaenogaster rudis seems to be way more common.

Water4

Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:14 am

Thanks again. I will try to get a look at the mesonotal peak. The colony was found in the Sandy River valley, in the west central mountains. It appears that they ate a small cricket, a bit of Honey Nut Cheerio, a little swish cheese, and another drop of honey last night.

Batspiderfish

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:42 am

If the mesonotum rises above the pronotum, then they are probably A. fulva.