Dorymyrmex queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Aaron567

Dorymyrmex queen?

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:18 am

I found this queen in the pool last week and she has a clutch of eggs and she is doing great. I thought she was a Dorymyrmex sp. at first, but after looking at her colors and gaster, I'm not too sure. She may just be a different species or color of Dorymyrmex but I'm posting it here to make sure. Her head and thorax are light brown, similar to a Dorymyrmex bureni queen. But her gaster is yellow, which is different.

Also she has a black spot under her gaster, does anyone know what it could be?

Aaron567

Re: Dorymyrmex queen?

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:30 am

Oh and size: 8 mm

Batspiderfish

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm not very good at some of these obscure Solenopsis/Pheidole, but she kinda looks like Pheidole morrisi to me (which is common in Florida). You can tell she isn't Dorymyrmex by the two petiole nodes (dolichoderines only have one, and it's often hard to see.)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Mdrogun

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:14 pm

She's definitely a Myrmicinae ant, most likely Pheidole morrisi by the looks of it.

Mdrogun

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:I'm not very good at some of these obscure Solenopsis/Pheidole, but she kinda looks like Pheidole morrisi to me (which is common in Florida). You can tell she isn't Dorymyrmex by the two petiole nodes (dolichoderines only have one, and it's often hard to see.)

Doing some research, this looks to be Solenopsis corticalis. I don't know if you could weigh in on this.

Batspiderfish

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:14 am

Mdrogun wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:I'm not very good at some of these obscure Solenopsis/Pheidole, but she kinda looks like Pheidole morrisi to me (which is common in Florida). You can tell she isn't Dorymyrmex by the two petiole nodes (dolichoderines only have one, and it's often hard to see.)
Doing some research, this looks to be Solenopsis corticalis. I don't know if you could weigh in on this.
8mm ;)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.