Queen id :sorry about the pic its hard for me to take pictures...Found in North Carolina

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Phoenixwolf38

Queen id :sorry about the pic its hard for me to take pictures...Found in North Carolina

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Found in North Carolina {Two nodes} COLOR:{Head is brownish red} {dark colored thorax} {with a red to black abdomen} SIZE:{Roughly 1mm} found at around june 20th.. ishImageImageImage

idahoantgirl

Re: Queen id :sorry about the pic its hard for me to take pictures...Found in North Carolina

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:08 pm

just a guess, maybe solenopsis? dont take my word for it though
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen id :sorry about the pic its hard for me to take pictures...Found in North Carolina

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:34 pm

Solenopsis invicta. Do you mean "1cm"?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Phoenixwolf38

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:49 pm

No I measured in mm... I think

larynx

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:21 pm

This is Solenopsis Invicta, and is around 1cm or a little less, judging by the penny in the pic.
pennies are 2cm across. ;)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:01 pm

1mm is the size of some of the tiniest worker ants, but not a queen. :)

Solenopsis molesta and Brachymyrmex workers are super tiny, and you might not even notice that they are there unless they are in a group.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Jharrell23867

Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:07 pm

OMG we have these in Virginia to according to antmaps... they have been spotted as far as Richmond which i live exactly one hour south of almost directly on the NC state line. I have been looking for one FOR EVER!!!!

Congratz on the catch... also i am extremely jealous & i hate you now!!!!!! jk jk :P

At least now i know what to look for size wise & color wise...

Can i ask where & how you found it? Location description of the area like woods, dirt, sand, weather patterns for that day & the day before etc etc details.

Batspiderfish

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Virginia is thankfully their northernmost limit on the east coast. :)

Mdrogun

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:09 am

What made everyone think this was Solenopsis invicta opposed to Solenopsis xyloni or Solenopsis geminata?

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:46 am

Mdrogun wrote:What made everyone think this was Solenopsis invicta opposed to Solenopsis xyloni or Solenopsis geminata?
Solenopsis invicta is so embedded and dominant in the Southeastern U.S. that all of its close relatives and competitors are believed to have been completely eradicated.