Queen ID in Alabama

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ID in Alabama

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:22 am

A fully-claustral Aphaenogaster sp.

Always include location AND a measurement with ID requests. :)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Aphaenogaster is in the same subfamily as Solenopsus (Myrmicinae), but they aren't very similar in habitat or behavior. Aphaenogaster is more closely related to Messor and Stenamma.

When in doubt about how a name is spelled, look it up! One of the exceptions to this is "Camponotus noveboracensis" which is misspelled so often that search engines and publications will get it wrong. The correct spelling for this ant is "Camponotus novaeboracensis". Not very common in Alabama, so you probably won't have to worry about it. :P
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Aww, thanks! I wouldn't mind getting a better look at that queen, if you're ever photographing her again. :D