Is this a Queen? And if so what species?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Cronolgical

Re: Is this a Queen? And if so what species?

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50 pm

Sasqwash13 wrote:Ok, I am 100,000,000% sure that this a queen HOWEVER it is not fertilized and will not lay eggs. sorry :(
I thought Antscanadas channel said that sometimes they lay eggs even with wings?

One of the videos I saw he explained that she didn't lose her wing until weeks after being trapped. Is it possible she could just be holding her wings for some reason?

Sasqwash13

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:53 pm

This is true, keep her for a couple of weeks and see if she does. but if not let her go and keep searching for a queen! :)

Cronolgical

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Sasqwash13 wrote:This is true, keep her for a couple of weeks and see if she does. but if not let her go and keep searching for a queen! :)
I hope she does do something x,x I'm going home soon so I'll have a better small town setup to look through including wooded areas and parks.

I might have more luck in that area but for now this is all I have. So lets hope this one is just late with her wings. Tho considering she literally crawled out of her colony I'm not sure.. :cry:

Sasqwash13

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:18 pm

where are you wright now?

Cronolgical

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Sasqwash13 wrote:where are you wright now?
If you read more into the previous posts you would have answers to all your potential questions, but here is the information again:

Ontario Canada
Near a "large" lake
Ants colony found behind garage in a dry area
ants colony found below a large stone eggs were basically on the surface.

This queen was caught amongst the colony the other ants were VERY protective of her.

The queen has wings, as you can see. She is very active and seems to prefer dry conditons

she was caught at 7:15pm

Sasqwash13

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:28 pm

lol I didn't see that!

Ants4fun

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:18 am

Your first photos are not loading forme, but jest because of the description she probably isn't a queen. The second one is most likely unfertilized, but I guess you can try. Please don't just take queens from colonies. Just be patient and wait for a nuptial flight. Unless your absolutely sure, and even then you should take the whole colony.

Antscanada73

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Jonathan21700 wrote:I have a lot of experience with ants. This is definitely not a queen. Just look at the thorax.
It's a Formica worker. Here's a picture of Formica ants (workers on the right) and queen on the left.
You can see the difference in the thorax also in the size.
And I think there is a scar at the start of the abdomen.

Dabananaman

Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:47 am

The second pic is definitely a queen, problem is that you caught her in a colony. A fertilized queen will usually be away from the colony and most of the time alone(but sometimes queens will nest together to improve the chance of survival).

I have encountered winged queens that were fertilized, they did not lose their wings even after having dozens of workers.

So don't lose hope, just keep looking and hoping. :D