Tiny Ants+Trap Jaw ants?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Aaron567

Tiny Ants+Trap Jaw ants?

Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm

I was outside moving a pile of bricks and when I picked one brick up, there was a chamber (about .5") that was completely filled with larvae, eggs, pupae and very tiny ants that were rushing to carry the brood away. The ants were only about 1 mm and were light brown with a dark abdomen. I think they were the tiniest ants I have ever seen. There were even tiny major worker which were about 2 mm. Sorry the pictures are blurry and not the best, I think my camera isn't stable enough to capture something so tiny. What could these be?

This is how small the chamber was. The big hole is a hole in the brick that is about 1.5". The chamber is at the bottom right.

In this picture you can see a lot of pupae.

I took the above pictures yesterday, but today I was looking around the same pile of bricks and I found what I'm pretty sure is a trap jaw ant colony. I kept seeing black ants about 10-12 mm in length that I thought were strange looking queen alates at first. But then, I moved a couple more bricks, only to find a bunch of these large worker ants coming out of the holes in the bricks. They looked just like the Trap jaw ant in the video that Antscananda posted on his youtube channel before. Pretty sure these are some kind of trap jaw ant, but any idea on the species? Here are the pictures.

Solenopsisace

Re: Tiny Ants+Trap Jaw ants?

Sun May 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Cool.i know i read somewhere that tiny trap jaws were here in fl,but i havnt found any here in tampa :( .i want some

Solenopsisace

Sun May 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Mdrogun

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:21 am

The first ants are a Pheidole sp. and the second are Odontomachus sp.