Moderator: ooper01

LeoTheAnt

Re: Is this a queen?

Thu May 26, 2016 6:09 am

Just checked on her and she's dead.

Solenopsisace

Thu May 26, 2016 6:16 am

LeoTheAnt wrote:So it's a camponotus species?
I was just assuming it was ,but u need a detailed pic of the antenna,eyes,the way it has hairs on it,etc...to really know what it is for sure.an sry to hear that.what was u keepin her in?

LeoTheAnt

Thu May 26, 2016 2:19 pm

I was keeping her in the traditional test tube setup.

Solenopsisace

Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 pm

She must of got to stressed out .i started out catching them in pill bottles.i had this **** bottle that kept over dosing the queens cause i forgot to wipe the pill dust out.yep typical rookie mistake :roll:

Mdrogun

Fri May 27, 2016 1:04 am

no, this is definitely not Camponotus. It is a parasitic Lasius queen of some sort. She starved to death because she has little to no fat reserves unlike most queens.

cdms325

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Yes that is definitely a queen! I remember catching lots of those exact species! A few summers ago I was playing on my computer and my mom called me so I went to her and she said is this the queen you were looking for? And I said yes! I lost hope at that point until I my mom found one in the weirdest spot at the weirdest time. It laid lots of eggs and I even got to watch it lay some! They never hatched and in eventually died D: last summer I went to a sleep away camp and I told my friends how interested I was in ants there so when I was playing dodgeball they pulled me out and they caught 1! We then stayed there for a while and found 2 more! When I went back to my cabin a fourth one flew up to me but I didn't catch it. By the time I got home I had only 1 queen left as the others escaped. The last one I had laid eggs that didn't hatch AGAIN. It died a few months ago.

I know that nobody will read this huge "story" but I kinda just typed it out of Bordom as I wait for the horse race to start :P any chance if that one you caught is a spare one? ;3 I live in CT as well.

cdms325

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Oh never mind I just saw you said it was dead :P R.I.P but it looked very skinny so you might of caught it sick or old so it would of died soon anyways. Happy ant hunting!

Mdrogun

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:32 am

cdms325 wrote:Yes that is definitely a queen! I remember catching lots of those exact species! A few summers ago I was playing on my computer and my mom called me so I went to her and she said is this the queen you were looking for? And I said yes! I lost hope at that point until I my mom found one in the weirdest spot at the weirdest time. It laid lots of eggs and I even got to watch it lay some! They never hatched and in eventually died D: last summer I went to a sleep away camp and I told my friends how interested I was in ants there so when I was playing dodgeball they pulled me out and they caught 1! We then stayed there for a while and found 2 more! When I went back to my cabin a fourth one flew up to me but I didn't catch it. By the time I got home I had only 1 queen left as the others escaped. The last one I had laid eggs that didn't hatch AGAIN. It died a few months ago.

I know that nobody will read this huge "story" but I kinda just typed it out of Bordom as I wait for the horse race to start :P any chance if that one you caught is a spare one? ;3 I live in CT as well.
If the queens you had caught were this species, they wouldn't have laid eggs without any brood given to them.