5/25/18-Parma/MI/USA- Unwanted workers in child swing

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Wolfsong

5/25/18-Parma/MI/USA- Unwanted workers in child swing

Fri May 25, 2018 10:17 pm

USA/Michigan/Parma

I have not caught these ants, I wish to remove them from my daughters swing so that they will not bother her. I had noticed some black winged ones around her swing, but they never bothered her so I ignored them since it was only a few. Then, this past week, I went to put her in her swing and when I lifted the front of it the rope was covered in small workers. I tried shaking them off, and they started acting aggressive, shaking and twitching their thorax (the butts?) like they were looking for something to sting or possibly trying to spray acid like the formic ones?

I got photos of the workers after trying to rinse out the swing, but the larger ones were already gone. These workers were about 2mm max.

Image Image Image Image Image

Batspiderfish

Re: 5/25/18-Parma/MI/USA- Unwanted workers in child swing

Fri May 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Crematogaster sp.

Although they belong to the Myrmicinae subfamily consisting of many stinging ants, Crematogaster have evolved a different strategy and use their stings to spread an odorous repellent instead of cause injury. I'll bet there is a colony living in whatever the swing is attached to.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Wolfsong

Mon May 28, 2018 12:10 pm

What would be the best way to remove them or encourage them to move out without having to use chemicals? I know Mikey mentioned vinegar at one point to destroy their scent trails, but would rinsing the inside of the swing with it work? (It is a hollow toddler swing.) I've already tried rinsing it out with the hose but they just came out in force ready to fight xD;

WNCAnt

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:29 am

Wash the swing set in warm vinegar water, 2nd coat areas where you do not want the ants with wd-40. Allow time to dry soak ropes as well. This will cause them to not come back and takes some time for it to wash off.
Founding Camponotus Pennsylvanicus X 2.
Keeping Camponotus Subbarbatus X1.