is this a pavement ant (tetremorium sp. E)

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Re: is this a pavement ant (tetremorium sp. E)

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:45 am
that's weird ant maps says their is no native species of tetramorium in most of the US
Tetramorium immigrans and caespitum invaded the U.S. They are considered invasive species. Also, it could be caespitum too, because they look pretty much identical, yet caespitum is bigger. I've seen colonies of both. They are both polymorphic, and I've heard that they are polygynous, yet I've heard that they are not as well. :? They have mini stingers, are aggressive, and can grow their colonies into the 10s of thousands. :o

And isn't it such a coincidence that we are always posting on the same topics? (Rhetorik, this includes you too)
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

idahoantgirl

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
antnest8 wrote:
that's weird ant maps says their is no native species of tetramorium in most of the US
Tetramorium immigrans and caespitum invaded the U.S. They are considered invasive species. Also, it could be caespitum too, because they look pretty much identical, yet caespitum is bigger. I've seen colonies of both. They are both polymorphic, and I've heard that they are polygynous, yet I've heard that they are not as well. :? They have mini stingers, are aggressive, and can grow their colonies into the 10s of thousands. :o

And isn't it such a coincidence that we are always posting on the same topics? (Rhetorik, this includes you too)
In America we have Tetramorium Immigrans. Europe has Tetramorium Caespitum. That was a recent development. I tried the whole polygyny thing with mine, but it didnt work out.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

antnest8

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:05 pm

hmm maybe i have both in my back yard because some are slightly larger than others but this could be the polymorphic part.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
antnest8 wrote:

In America we have Tetramorium Immigrans. Europe has Tetramorium Caespitum. That was a recent development. I tried the whole polygyny thing with mine, but it didnt work out.
Antweb, which is a highly trusted database of ants (even trusted by AntsCanada) has collected several specimens of Tetramorium caespitum in the U.S. Antweb is runned by experienced myrmecologists and taxonomists, including Brian Fisher.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25