Queen ant found in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Cartil

Queen ant found in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello everyone!

Today, I went on my first quest for queen ants and, as usual, I realized that life isn't like the story books! I found one queen ant, however, it was surrounded by about 5 or 6 workers that were trying to pull her in one direction. I was not sure if they were trying to help her or attacking her. I managed to pull her away from those worker, except for one that seems to be hanging on to one of her antenna. I somewhat tried to separate them but I didn't try too hard out of fear of hurting the queen. It looked like the queen and the worker kept on fighting (I think) for sometime, but now the worker seems to not be moving anymore. She seems to be able to walk fine, even with the worker attached to her. I placed her in a temporary test tube (I am getting proper test tubes tomorrow) in a dark area and I am giving her some space for now so she can rest. Could you guys help me identify what kind of queen I caught (I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia)? Also, is there anything you think I should do to try to help her with the worker attached to her?

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ant found in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Lasius alienus.

Don't forget your measurements!

She should be able to remove the worker on her own. Trying to intervene will run a higher risk of injuring the queen.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cartil

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Quick update: Just as you said, she was able to remove the worker on her own! This makes me happy! :) Now, hopefully, she is fertilized and not injured. Time will tell. Thank you for the ID!

Here is a picture for the measurements, I would say 9 mm in length.

Cartil

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 pm

I have a few more questions if you don't mind! I tried to find the answer, but couldn't.

To be sure, this is not a social parasite right? Also, since the workers are only 2-4 mm, is it easy to contain them?

Batspiderfish

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:54 pm

Cartil wrote:
I have a few more questions if you don't mind! I tried to find the answer, but couldn't.

To be sure, this is not a social parasite right? Also, since the workers are only 2-4 mm, is it easy to contain them?
Niger and flavus group Lasius are not parasitic, and easy to keep.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cartil

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:54 pm
Cartil wrote:

Niger and flavus group Lasius are not parasitic, and easy to keep.
Ok, thank you! :)