ID Needed Please; Trout Lake, WA 05/04/2017

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

KSkuroooari

ID Needed Please; Trout Lake, WA 05/04/2017

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:26 am

If anyone could help us ID our three queens, we would be most grateful. All three are about 14mm in length.

Queen #1

Of the three, she is "shinier". Her gaster was also much more swollen-looking.

Queen #2

Compared to Queen #1, her exoskeleton is dull.

Queen #3

Appearance-wise, she looks like Queen #2 but without wings.

I hope the photos are sufficient enough for an ID. My son believes they are Camponotus but we are unsure of the subspecies. We are also wondering if they are polygynous as we are starting to research formicariums and outworlds to purchase. Because, in all honesty, it would be nice not to have to buy three separate sets. And if they are not polygynous and we decide we can't afford to keep all three (cost-wise and space-wise), what should we do with the other two?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice.

Batspiderfish

Re: ID Needed Please; Trout Lake, WA 05/04/2017

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:09 am

The shinier queen(s) are probably Camponotus laevigatus, and the others, if they look different, could be C. modoc or C. herculeanus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

KSkuroooari

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
The shinier queen(s) are probably Camponotus laevigatus, and the others, if they look different, could be C. modoc or C. herculeanus.
Thank you. I find it so amazing that you can ID them. Identifying subspecies is so overwhelming. Based on pictures, our guesses had been C. nearcticus and C. pennsylvanicus.

Would it be possible to put the two C. modoc queens together?

Batspiderfish

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:23 pm

KSkuroooari wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Thank you. I find it so amazing that you can ID them. Identifying subspecies is so overwhelming. Based on pictures, our guesses had been C. nearcticus and C. pennsylvanicus.

To the best of my knowledge, these species are monogynous.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

KSkuroooari

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:23 pm
KSkuroooari wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, these species are monogynous.
Thank you. I will discuss with my son and decide which he'd like to keep and what we should do with the others. This is a great learning experience for him.

Would you have a preference between the three?