Any ant keepers in Virginia?

A listing of ant meet ups, events, and clubs around the world. Go on an ant trek with ant enthusiasts from your city. Connect with each other and foster an ant community where you live!

Moderator: ooper01

explorer2103

Any ant keepers in Virginia?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:19 pm

I want to know if there is any one keeping ants in Virginia, I'm going to start keeping ants soon but there are no ants where I live that I can keep. I want to know if anyone could help me out by either telling me of stores or selling me a queen. I do know however that you guys don't condone buying ants but I just was wondering. I am looking for a camponotus queen, preferably a pennsylvanicus.

explorer2103

Re: Any ant keepers in Virginia?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:22 pm

I also can't buy ants from AntsCanada because I live in Virginia.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:35 pm

If there isn't any GAN Farmers in VA then I hate to say it there isn't much AntsCanada can do except support someone who is or wants to be a GAN Farmer once they have some established colonies. We don't allow selling ants on the forums and fully support the laws in place about not taking ants across state borders.

There may be other sites that you can go to that might be able to help you. I lived in VA for 14yrs, the laws there are soooooo crazy that I finally said enough is enough and moved away from there.

Good Luck in your search and maybe you can come across some local nuptial flights and catch some queens on your own.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Jharrell23867

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:07 am

I live in Virginia... I am not part of the GAN yet... would love to become a GAN member.

AntNovice53

Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Im a registered ant queen seller in Virginia. Check out AntsCanada's GAN project page.

CamponotusCommander

Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 am

I just recently registered on AntsCanada's "GAN project" as an ant queen seller in Williamsburg Virginia. If you need any ants, Ill hook you up. :)

Antella

Sun May 06, 2018 7:55 pm

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm trying to get with a GAN farmer in Virginia. Looks like CamponatusCommander is out of the game as they haven't responded to my requests and they haven't posted on this forum in awhile. Is there anyone out there that is in VA and can or knows someone who can get me a queen and brood?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun May 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Please read my posting about this earlier on in this thread. Please do not ask others on the forums about getting ants.

Thanks,
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

Antella

Tue May 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Sorry, I figured it was implied that it would go through the GAN project. For the future is it ok or not ok to encourage people to use the GAN project for exchange of ants? For example, If I saw that someone in VA had a bunch of queens from the nuptial flight, would it be ok to ask them to become a GAN farmer so we could make the exchange? Or what about asking if anyone knows anyone in VA with queens who would join the GAN project to make an exchange? Or is ANY mention of buying selling ants strictly forbidden?
For the record I will 100% respect and comply with the rules. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm brand new to all this. Thanks!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue May 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Sorry I should have been more specific. Any ant selling or trading needs to go thru the AntsCanada GAN project, we don't want trading or selling of ants on the forums itself. Yes if you know someone who hunts for ants please encourage them to join the GAN project so that they may help others in that state, province, or area, who are looking to get a Queen and some nantics to start their on colony.

We're a little fierce about those that try to sell or trade ants via the forums because we want to make sure doing so it kept legal and also that the transactions between Farmers and those buying them are kept on the up and up.

Hope this helps straighten out the misunderstanding,
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin