Any ant keepers in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, Canada?

A listing of ant meet ups, events, and clubs around the world. Go on an ant trek with ant enthusiasts from your city. Connect with each other and foster an ant community where you live!

Moderator: ooper01

KHandcock

Any ant keepers in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, Canada?

Sun May 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,

Just considering dipping my toes in the water on starting an ant colony and I was wondering if there is anyone already up and running in New Brunswick? I'd be interested to hear your experiences and advice if so. I'm hopeful I'll be able to catch a queen at some point over the summer but if I don't find one I'd also be interested in getting one from someone who isn't able to keep one they catch.

Thanks!

Batspiderfish

Re: Any ant keepers in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, Canada?

Sun May 14, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm only from Maine, but we share a lot of the same local ants. Keep an eye out later this week. If it gets to 21 C this Thursday, we'll probably see the early Camponotus flights.

I'm not that far south, (Portland) but we're expected to get 28 C! :twisted:
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

KHandcock

Re: Any ant keepers in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, Canada?

Mon May 15, 2017 5:48 am

I doubt it'll be getting quite that high in temperature here! But I'll be at the ready just in case :-) Thanks!