Help with including ants in a senior project?

A listing of ant meet ups, events, and clubs around the world. Go on an ant trek with ant enthusiasts from your city. Connect with each other and foster an ant community where you live!

Moderator: ooper01

Shadow

Help with including ants in a senior project?

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Hello AntsCanada forums, I became a highschool senior this year and I have to do a senior project. I really had no idea what to do, so I searched around the internet for things that interested me. I came across AntsCanada's youtube channel, and I found that I really enjoyed watching the ants he had and him talking about them. After researching a bit more on the topic and watching lots of his videos and tutorials, I thought something fun I could do would be to start my own ant colony. I was hoping I could incorporate it into my senior project, but here's the problem; I have to in some way relate this to the humanities. The only idea I have for selling it under the humanities is as it being a dip into sociology, because I'm interested in Psych for college. This on its own seems like it may be a bit weak, so here I am asking ant experts for help, if ants can anywhere be included into the humanities.

On a side note, my school is allowing someone to keep bees because the difference is that bees are endangered and we need more people to help them. While I don't disagree with that, I'm mad because both of these topics are pretty similar and although my teacher hasn't given me a flat no yet, he said probably not.

AceCadet

Re: Help with including ants in a senior project?

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Ants are a perfect society. Everyone has equal say. No child ever goes hunger. And overall the focus is on the betterment of the colony as a hole. You could base it on showing that while the societal structure ants seems simple to the ***** eye we can learn a lot from them. Such as not focusing so much on ourselves and focusing more on how we can better society as a whole. How we can strive to be like the ants. Where everyone is equal, everyone is fed, warm, and cared for. And no one goes without the basic necessities of life. Just an idea.

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:44 pm

This whole documentary is great, but I like the part about Temnothorax:
https://youtu.be/8n0SkIGARuo?t=3708
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Depending on your location, you could try to convince your teacher about the effects of a certain species on the environment, and show how they drive native species out. As for the other aspect of your question, I agree with AceCadet.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntLove5Ever

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:27 pm

AceCadet wrote:Ants are a perfect society. Everyone has equal say. No child ever goes hunger. And overall the focus is on the betterment of the colony as a hole. You could base it on showing that while the societal structure ants seems simple to the ***** eye we can learn a lot from them. Such as not focusing so much on ourselves and focusing more on how we can better society as a whole. How we can strive to be like the ants. Where everyone is equal, everyone is fed, warm, and cared for. And no one goes without the basic necessities of life. Just an idea.

Ya bloody Commie XD

Canadiananter

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:30 pm

Social parasitism?