My First Ever Colony! [Thank you GAN Program!]

Share your experiences with us, our customer service, our informational videos, and/or products. Please be kind but do be honest. If you have any issues/concerns with an order, product, or service, please contact us through email contact-us@AntsCanada.com for quicker support.

Moderator: ooper01

katdaily710

My First Ever Colony! [Thank you GAN Program!]

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:33 pm

When I was younger, I was always fascinated with ants, but was never really in a position to keep an ant farm. At any rate, I'd heard that they died after a couple months, which made me sad. In college, I was so taken up with my rabbit and my friends that I didn't do much research.

Recently, I've had a bit more time to explore the ant world, and somehow I managed to find AntsCanada in my normal YouTube browsing! I couldn't believe it; you could have an entire colony of ants?! I watched many many videos for a bunch of days in a row.

I started to get discouraged when I couldn't find much information on nuptial flights, and I had little faith in my own queen-hunting abilities. But then the GAN program came to the rescue! There was a farmer a couple hours from me, with what I had recently determined to be my favorite species, Prenolepis Imparis.

Cold loving ants that don't move much. We were practically meant for each other. <3

The process of arranging to pick up a perfectly fit queen was so smooth, and Mikey was great to work with. The GAN farmer was sweet as well.

Just yesterday I drove to pick up my little ants; my queen, two little workers, and a pile of eggs and larvae. I may have cried. Maybe. Shh.

I'm planning to get them an Omni Nest for Christmas [even though they're sleeping through the best holiday ever!]. None of this would have been possible without the awesome GAN program, and the awesome guy behind it all.

Thank you Mikey, AntsCanada, and GAN farmers everywhere. This truly made my entire week a whole lot better, and I can't wait to share my experiences with everyone here! <3

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: My First Ever Colony! [Thank you GAN Program!]

Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:05 pm

katdaily710 wrote:When I was younger, I was always fascinated with ants, but was never really in a position to keep an ant farm. At any rate, I'd heard that they died after a couple months, which made me sad. In college, I was so taken up with my rabbit and my friends that I didn't do much research.

Recently, I've had a bit more time to explore the ant world, and somehow I managed to find AntsCanada in my normal YouTube browsing! I couldn't believe it; you could have an entire colony of ants?! I watched many many videos for a bunch of days in a row.

I started to get discouraged when I couldn't find much information on nuptial flights, and I had little faith in my own queen-hunting abilities. But then the GAN program came to the rescue! There was a farmer a couple hours from me, with what I had recently determined to be my favorite species, Prenolepis Imparis.

Cold loving ants that don't move much. We were practically meant for each other. <3

The process of arranging to pick up a perfectly fit queen was so smooth, and Mikey was great to work with. The GAN farmer was sweet as well.

Just yesterday I drove to pick up my little ants; my queen, two little workers, and a pile of eggs and larvae. I may have cried. Maybe. Shh.

I'm planning to get them an Omni Nest for Christmas [even though they're sleeping through the best holiday ever!]. None of this would have been possible without the awesome GAN program, and the awesome guy behind it all.

Thank you Mikey, AntsCanada, and GAN farmers everywhere. This truly made my entire week a whole lot better, and I can't wait to share my experiences with everyone here! <3
Glad everything has worked out so well for you! It looks as if I'll end up being a GAN farmer soon, have like 9 Solenosis queens (4 with eggs who should be too far off from having their first nantics i hope) and I for sure won't be keeping that many. If all works out it will be cool to give others in Alabama the ability to start a new colony!

Enjoy your new little family!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: