Very upset with omni nest

Share your experiences with us, our customer service, our informational videos, and/or products. Please be kind but do be honest. If you have any issues/concerns with an order, product, or service, please contact us through email contact-us@AntsCanada.com for quicker support.

Moderator: ooper01

AntHUB

Very upset with omni nest

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Hello AntsCanada, i have to say that i am extremely disapointed with my omni nest here's why:

1. The covers are easily lost and hard to see.
2. It is a massive time-waster to peel covers off the chamber covers
3. screw bolts are terrible and don't hold together
4. hole in out world is difficult to fit any size of tubing in without it falling out or not being able to pull out also if i plug it the cotton balls normally falls out
5. The out world is glued very poorly so it split the day i got it and i lost a whole colony including the queen to this and now they're loose in my house
6. when applying my baby powder barrier, no matter how thick it is it seeps through the bottom of the foricarium.
7. ants always move into the chambers underneath the out world and i cant see them even though this was suppose to allow you to see the whole nest.
8. I have gotten the covers stuck inside the chambers at least a dozen times.
9. the bolts get lost easily and one time my harvester ants even dragged one into their nest.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Very upset with omni nest

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:25 am

Hi AntHUB. We are sorry you've had a poor experience with your Omni Nest. I'll address your concerns here:

Are you talking about the brown paper covers that were stuck to the acrylic?? The brown paper covers are supposed to be removed and then discarded. If you're talking about the actual acrylic covers themselves, I don't understand how they would be easily lost or hard to see??

We ship them with the brown paper covers on to help avoid scratches during shipment. They are a little annoying to remove, but we figured it was worth it to keep the acrylic scratch-free.

Do you move your omni nest around alot? Are you unscrewing things frequently? You should be able to assemble it just once and then all the screws and nuts just stay in place. How would they not hold together?

4. hole in out world is difficult to fit any size of tubing in without it falling out or not being able to pull out also if i plug it the cotton balls normally falls out
Yes this is a problem. The Omni series of products needs this issue resolved. We are looking into it.

5. The out world is glued very poorly so it split the day i got it and i lost a whole colony including the queen to this and now they're loose in my house.
Thank you for sharing this. We will talk with our manufacturer and make sure they know to do a better job gluing outworlds.

6. when applying my baby powder barrier, no matter how thick it is it seeps through the bottom of the foricarium.
Not sure I understand this?? Where are you applying the baby powder barrier? Usually it is applied to the top inch or so of the outworld.

7. ants always move into the chambers underneath the out world and i cant see them even though this was suppose to allow you to see the whole nest.
The outworld can be attached over a portion of the omni nest (screwed onto the Omni Nest) or it can also be attached using the supplied tubing using the hole in the outworld and the hole in the end of the Omni Nest.

Why are you removing covers so frequently?

9. the bolts get lost easily and one time my harvester ants even dragged one into their nest.
You must be talking about the outworld because the bolts and nuts should not be accessible to the ants anywhere else. Did you not have them screwed down tightly?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntHUB

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:50 am

Hi ooper I am sending a reply to some of the questions you had.

Fits of all, the covers fall in when I clean the nest. Also the bolts fall down when I accidentally bump into the nest. I apply my own baby powder barriers they are abut 2cm on the top but they always drip to and through the floor ruining the nest. Two answer your first question I sometimes drop the acrylic covers when cleaning them. I can’t attach the Omni nest out world to the nest entrance because my Ant’s need more nests/outworlds. Also the srews make it so the ants can escape through the holes in the bottom because the bottom piece slides down and they escaped through the hole in the bottom of the outworld. To awnser your last question my bolts are screwed down very well and they just fall off sometimes. One fell into my harvester ant’s outworld and that’s how they got it. It’s un usable because harvester ant’s sting is very painful and it’s in their storage chamber.

idahoantgirl

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:33 pm

AntHUB wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:50 am
Hi ooper I am sending a reply to some of the questions you had.

Fits of all, the covers fall in when I clean the nest. Also the bolts fall down when I accidentally bump into the nest. I apply my own baby powder barriers they are abut 2cm on the top but they always drip to and through the floor ruining the nest. Two answer your first question I sometimes drop the acrylic covers when cleaning them. I can’t attach the Omni nest out world to the nest entrance because my Ant’s need more nests/outworlds. Also the srews make it so the ants can escape through the holes in the bottom because the bottom piece slides down and they escaped through the hole in the bottom of the outworld. To awnser your last question my bolts are screwed down very well and they just fall off sometimes. One fell into my harvester ant’s outworld and that’s how they got it. It’s un usable because harvester ant’s sting is very painful and it’s in their storage chamber.
I think I can help with some of your problems.
baby powder:
You are applying too thickly. Thicker does not mean better. in fact, the thinner it is, the harder it is for the ants to escape. Ideally, you should apply liquid deterrents upside down, but if this is not possible, Then you simple put less of it on the brush and spread it out thinner. I have even found that it is a lot better of a deterrent if you apply the baby powder dry with a cotton ball. Note: If you load the cotton ball with tons of dry baby powder, then yes, it will fall to the bottom and get on your ants. just barely dab the cotton ball in a bowl of dry baby powder, shake it off, and then dab it around the outworld. This problem has absolutely nothing to do with the product, rather the method of application. This is not in any way AntsCanada's fault.

Attaching outworld to omni nest:
Yes, you can attach it to the nest, even if you are using all of your nest entrances for other things. Ig you use something like a t connector, you can branch off more tubing to lead to all your ant's other nests and outworlds, as well as have the main omni nest outworld not on top of itself. So this is also not AntsCanada's fault.

As to some of your other complaints, you need to remember that these nests are built as professional formicarium, not indestructible toys. There is a certain amount of care that needs to be taken by the customer with any good formicarium. For instance, being careful how often and where you clean the lids (meaning not right over the formicarium where they can easily be dropped.)Yes, there may be some minor design flaws, AntsCanada admits to that and the important thing is that they are working on them.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

TheRealAntMan

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:19 am

AntHUB wrote:
Hello AntsCanada, i have to say that i am extremely disapointed with my omni nest here's why:

5. The out world is glued very poorly so it split the day i got it and i lost a whole colony including the queen to this and now they're loose in my house

Cotton balls normally fall out? I think that's your fault. What I would do is take a cotton ball, rip it in half or slightly less, flatten it but not to much, then wrap it around the tub. Hope I helped. Sorry the comment is late.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

KorSolidarity

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:20 am

AntHUB wrote:
OMG this... I totally agree. I had it too many times also on my omni nest :(
I either had to open the whole thing or try and yank it out with ear pick for almost an hour.
eventually i put a silicon glue to use it as a handle. it wont completely prevent lids from falling in, but still helps.

Hawkeye

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:33 am

Maybe it is just me not understanding correctly, but why would you use a cotton ball over the plug s that come with it?