AntsCanada YouTube Videos

Discussion on our AntsCanada ant videos and your suggestions for future videos

Moderator: ooper01

Martialis

Re: AntsCanada YouTube Videos

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:12 am

Batspiderfish wrote: I have tentative plans during the next North American anting season to try and show off some of the sophisticated adaptations of our local, "boring" ant genera, such as the enlarged Dufour's gland of raider Formica, which essentially lets them spread "fear gas" into the nests of the colonies that they raid. Also of interest might be the cultivation of fungi in the nests of Lasius umbratus, the generous cooperation between young Camponotus colonies and orphaned workers, the ceremonial ant wars of Tetramorium sp. E, and (of course) details about keeping our many social parasites. There are even scores of North American ants which nobody in the world has ever kept in captivity -- those seem much more interesting to me than importing somebody else's "boring" local ants.
Honestly can't wait to see these.. You might try something with winter ants, too.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Martialis wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote: I have tentative plans during the next North American anting season to try and show off some of the sophisticated adaptations of our local, "boring" ant genera, such as the enlarged Dufour's gland of raider Formica, which essentially lets them spread "fear gas" into the nests of the colonies that they raid. Also of interest might be the cultivation of fungi in the nests of Lasius umbratus, the generous cooperation between young Camponotus colonies and orphaned workers, the ceremonial ant wars of Tetramorium sp. E, and (of course) details about keeping our many social parasites. There are even scores of North American ants which nobody in the world has ever kept in captivity -- those seem much more interesting to me than importing somebody else's "boring" local ants.
Honestly can't wait to see these.. You might try something with winter ants, too.
I've never seen a captive, mature Prenolepis imparis colony, and I've only found queens for the first time last year. I fear that I don't know enough about this species or how to keep them. I wonder if they are bothered by summer temperatures, since these ants nest deep underground in the wild.

A lot of people don't know this, but Prenolepis is mostly a tropical genus. Prenolepis imparis is somewhat unusual.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Martialis wrote:
I've never seen a captive, mature Prenolepis imparis colony, and I've only found queens for the first time last year. I fear that I don't know enough about this species or how to keep them. I wonder if they are bothered by summer temperatures, since these ants nest deep underground in the wild.

A lot of people don't know this, but Prenolepis is mostly a tropical genus. Prenolepis imparis is somewhat unusual.
Interesting. I've read they're polygonous and more so the further south in their range. I plan to catch some queens and test this.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Gavinthesheep1234567

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:10 pm

How come Mikey Bustos has not put on a YouTube video this Saturday what's going on
Keeper of
Camponotus

As Mike would say it's Ant Love Forever :D

AqdasHassaan

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:19 pm

Gavinthesheep1234567 wrote:
How come Mikey Bustos has not put on a YouTube video this Saturday what's going on
busy schedules maybe.

Gavinthesheep1234567

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for the quick reply if you get any news let me no
Keeper of
Camponotus

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Gavinthesheep1234567 wrote:
Mikey has been traveling this weekend. I believe he is just getting back in Manila today.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Gavinthesheep1234567

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:35 am

Ya he posted it today
Keeper of
Camponotus

Gavinthesheep1234567

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 am

Thanks for the answer
Keeper of
Camponotus

antsofthelowcountry

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 pm

Well this isn't an idea for a full video I think it would be cool if AntsCanada placed a camera such as a GoPro into one of the ant colonies such as the Fire Nation and we got to see all of the ants scurrying over the lens.
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.