Short heating cables?

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

JimboSpike

Short heating cables?

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:34 pm

I recently got a small lasius hybrid nest and was wondering if there are any heating cables that are not ridiculous length. I dont want to get a 5 foot cable for the 4 inch long hole. Been looking online and that is the shortest one I could find. Does anyone know of one that would be suitable for the hybrid nest?

To the AntsCanada Team, if there is no such thing available this is a possible gap in the market which you may be able to fill and sell on the website.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Short heating cables?

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:53 pm

I'm sure Mikey can look into it but the big thing is that most heating applications are a carry over from the herpetology, meaning that they are applications made for 5gal and larger tanks or clear plastic totes that are stacked on shelves. You can look into small heating pads and such. Biggest thing is that you'll want a very small on and preferably one that's adjustable (temp wise).

Here is an example of some very small heating pads, but this is only an example. These listed run 20* above room temp so if that works in your application great but if it's already hot in the house or where you keep your ants then they will make it too hot and kill them. Also if your going to use something like a heat pad make sure you only place part of the nest on it (not the whole thing) that way you can create a warm and cool zone in the nest allowing the ants to move away from the heat if needed.

http://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/16-heat-pads-heat-panels-heat-cable-and-rocks
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

GriffinAnt

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:48 pm

any update on heat cables for the hybrd nests? as in the lenth, are there plans for AntsCanada very own heat cable to use with hybred nests?

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:30 am

GriffinAnt wrote:any update on heat cables for the hybrd nests? as in the lenth, are there plans for AntsCanada very own heat cable to use with hybred nests?
We currently are not looking into releasing heating cables at the moment, but our Hybrid Nests do accommodate the heating cables sold for heating pet reptiles. Even if the cable is long, it can still be used, and is particularly useful when you are connecting several Hybrid Nests together.

Mikey
Ant Love Forever.

GriffinAnt

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:25 am

ok thanks boss