Test tube cover idea

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Test tube cover idea

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Hello everyone,
I have had some times recently where I have needed something to cover my colonies test tubes (getting ants to change test tubes, keeping Ants in a lit area, etc). I have had to use things like rags or towels since they keep the tubes the darkest, but they are kind of large and inneffecient for what I’m trying to do. It would be great if there was a simple product that I could buy that could achieve that purpose, like a sleeve or something I could slip onto the end of a test tube. I don’t know what it would be made of or how exactly it would work but that would be great!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

idahoantgirl

Re: Test tube cover idea

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am

Idahoantguy wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 pm
Hello everyone,
I have had some times recently where I have needed something to cover my colonies test tubes (getting ants to change test tubes, keeping Ants in a lit area, etc). I have had to use things like rags or towels since they keep the tubes the darkest, but they are kind of large and inneffecient for what I’m trying to do. It would be great if there was a simple product that I could buy that could achieve that purpose, like a sleeve or something I could slip onto the end of a test tube. I don’t know what it would be made of or how exactly it would work but that would be great!
You could sew them. I mean I'm a girl with a sewing machine so of course thats the first thing that pops into my head :lol: it would be pretty easy to take a small rectangle of fabric and sew a few seams to make a simple tight fitting cover. Another thing you may not have heard of is red photography paper. It is actually see through plastic film. Ants cannot see red light, so if you cut a section of it, and wrap it around your tube and secure it to itself with some tape (making a tube of red film) then that works great as a cover. you can even check on your ants without them knowing you can see them. it is a great alternative, and I use it. I have a ginormous roll of the stuff in my room, so be careful you don't overbuy! :)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:03 am

I just make little tubes using heavy "contruction paper" that slide on and off the test tubes.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Idahoantguy

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 am

ooper01 wrote:
I just make little tubes using heavy "contruction paper" that slide on and off the test tubes.
Ok, I’ll try that
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

martinnate

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 am
ooper01 wrote:
Ok, I’ll try that
To cober my test tubes I use to cut up a brown paper bag and tape it aroung the tube but now I use red clear plastic so I can see into the nest. I wish the test tubes where made out of clear red plastic instead of just clear lol good luck on finding a cover, be creative and Im sure u will come up with something u like.