$

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

User avatar
Serafine
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: $

Post: # 29370Post Serafine
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 pm

You can always use larger test tubes (30x200mm works fine, especially for Camponotus because they grow so slow and such a large tube can hold a ton of water so it doesn't run out before they have a good amount of workers) to bridge the time between the small test tube and the nest.
"We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull."

Join the Antkeeping Discord chat: https://discordapp.com/invite/ZXFTVzD

User avatar
ooper01
Head Moderator
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: $

Post: # 29382Post ooper01
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 pm

AntsOntario wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:34 pm
Will you guys be introducing smaller nests? (For new queens/ small colony)
*Sorry for all the questions, but I might as well ask everything so we're on the same page haha.*
Yes, there will be one generic 4x4 inch Hybrid Nest that will be coming out as well.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator
Image

AntsOntario
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Canada, ON
Contact:

Re: $

Post: # 29387Post AntsOntario
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 pm
AntsOntario wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:34 pm
Will you guys be introducing smaller nests? (For new queens/ small colony)
*Sorry for all the questions, but I might as well ask everything so we're on the same page haha.*
Yes, there will be one generic 4x4 inch Hybrid Nest that will be coming out as well.
At the same time as the rest of the nests? Also how many ants will it be suitable for? (Species)
Owner of;
QUEENS IN FOUNDING //
- (13 Queens) Solonopsis Molesta
COLONIES //
- (3 Queens) Prenelopis Imparis

AntsOntario
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Canada, ON
Contact:

Re: $

Post: # 29388Post AntsOntario
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 pm
AntsOntario wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:34 pm
Will you guys be introducing smaller nests? (For new queens/ small colony)
*Sorry for all the questions, but I might as well ask everything so we're on the same page haha.*
Yes, there will be one generic 4x4 inch Hybrid Nest that will be coming out as well.
Also would you suggest I wait until it comes out, or should I just buy the current one? I mean this release date has been pushed almost a year haha! :D :lol:
Owner of;
QUEENS IN FOUNDING //
- (13 Queens) Solonopsis Molesta
COLONIES //
- (3 Queens) Prenelopis Imparis

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: $

Post: # 29413Post Jadeninja9
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Serafine wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 am
You should add a small bag of sand-clay-mix or some other substrate to every nest.
It's also good for species that spin cocoons as they sometimes have problems spinning their cocoons in glass, acrylic or printed nests - not to much of an issue for Lasius, Formica and Camponotus which just make naked pupae but I've heard from several people that some species when they fail to spin cocoons will just stay larvae forever.
Wouldn't it be pointless for a wood dwelling Camponotus species? Also, Camponotus have cocoons over their pupae. Well, at least mine do. I'm pretty sure all ants in the Formicinae subfamily have cocoons over their pupae.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

AntsOntario
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Canada, ON
Contact:

Re: $

Post: # 29441Post AntsOntario
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 pm
Serafine wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 am
You should add a small bag of sand-clay-mix or some other substrate to every nest.
It's also good for species that spin cocoons as they sometimes have problems spinning their cocoons in glass, acrylic or printed nests - not to much of an issue for Lasius, Formica and Camponotus which just make naked pupae but I've heard from several people that some species when they fail to spin cocoons will just stay larvae forever.
Wouldn't it be pointless for a wood dwelling Camponotus species? Also, Camponotus have cocoons over their pupae. Well, at least mine do. I'm pretty sure all ants in the Formicinae subfamily have cocoons over their pupae.
Yeah. My Camponotus spin cocoons as well. Same with Lasius. I'm pretty sure it's just Formica that have issues.
Owner of;
QUEENS IN FOUNDING //
- (13 Queens) Solonopsis Molesta
COLONIES //
- (3 Queens) Prenelopis Imparis

User avatar
Serafine
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: $

Post: # 29454Post Serafine
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Substrate is most useful for species that like it moist such as Myrmica. It just helps to keep humidity inside the nest much better.
For Camponotus it doesn't matter too much, if they can't spin cocoons they just pupate naked - I had a naked pupa in a test tube (that was before they filled the tube with sand and debris) and it developed as normal - but even for them it should be more comfortable. Camponotus, though dry-loving, often hydrate parts of their nest by spilling water at the bottom and that works much better when there is a substrate that can absorb and retain water.
"We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull."

Join the Antkeeping Discord chat: https://discordapp.com/invite/ZXFTVzD

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: $

Post: # 29490Post Jadeninja9
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Serafine wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:27 pm
Substrate is most useful for species that like it moist such as Myrmica. It just helps to keep humidity inside the nest much better.
For Camponotus it doesn't matter too much, if they can't spin cocoons they just pupate naked - I had a naked pupa in a test tube (that was before they filled the tube with sand and debris) and it developed as normal - but even for them it should be more comfortable. Camponotus, though dry-loving, often hydrate parts of their nest by spilling water at the bottom and that works much better when there is a substrate that can absorb and retain water.
Oh, okay I see what you meant now. I thought you meant that all Camponotus species don't spin cocoons for some reason.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

Post Reply

Return to “New AntsCanada Ant Products & Product Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest