$

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsOntario

Re: $

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 am

ooper01 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:54 am
Serafine wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 am
You should add a small bag of sand-clay-mix or some other substrate to every nest. Not only does it improve the way humidity spreads throughout the nest it also makes it easier to take pictures (because if you try to take a picture of ants in a very light colored nest - or even worse a white one - usually all you get it a bright blob). A very small bag is sufficient, you don't need much even for an 8x8" nest.

It's also good for species that spin cocoons as they sometimes have problems spinning their cocoons in glass, acrylic or printed nests - not to much of an issue for Lasius, Formica and Camponotus which just make ***** pupae but I've heard from several people that some species when they fail to spin cocoons will just stay larvae forever.

Also it would be great if the nests could be plugged together seamlessly. You can do that with nests from SimAnts (you just need a small piece of tubing) but what I'm missing on those are some sort of clamps or a frame the actually keep the nests together - you can just pull them apart which makes it very risky unless you mount them on some sort of bottom plate. A small accessory piece mounted with some screws (or glued into place) at the edges could fix this.
Both great ideas! Including substrate can definitely be done. Might be too late for the clamped/locked connection of multiple nests during this iteration, but could make it into the next revision. I'm thinking the best solution for this idea would be some sort of frame that the hydration base fits into. The frame would then snap/lock onto another frame.
Since this size of the new nests are increasing, does this mean it'll take longer to introduce your colony? I have a colony of tetramorium
about 20 workers strong. Do you suggest I fill up all of the chambers with sand, so they can remove it when they need space?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:23 pm

AntsOntario wrote:
ooper01 wrote:
Serafine wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 am
You should add a small bag of sand-clay-mix or some other substrate to every nest. Not only does it improve the way humidity spreads throughout the nest it also makes it easier to take pictures (because if you try to take a picture of ants in a very light colored nest - or even worse a white one - usually all you get it a bright blob). A very small bag is sufficient, you don't need much even for an 8x8" nest.

It's also good for species that spin cocoons as they sometimes have problems spinning their cocoons in glass, acrylic or printed nests - not to much of an issue for Lasius, Formica and Camponotus which just make ***** pupae but I've heard from several people that some species when they fail to spin cocoons will just stay larvae forever.

Also it would be great if the nests could be plugged together seamlessly. You can do that with nests from SimAnts (you just need a small piece of tubing) but what I'm missing on those are some sort of clamps or a frame the actually keep the nests together - you can just pull them apart which makes it very risky unless you mount them on some sort of bottom plate. A small accessory piece mounted with some screws (or glued into place) at the edges could fix this.
Both great ideas! Including substrate can definitely be done. Might be too late for the clamped/locked connection of multiple nests during this iteration, but could make it into the next revision. I'm thinking the best solution for this idea would be some sort of frame that the hydration base fits into. The frame would then snap/lock onto another frame.
Since this size of the new nests are increasing, does this mean it'll take longer to introduce your colony? I have a colony of tetramorium
about 20 workers strong. Do you suggest I fill up all of the chambers with sand, so they can remove it when they need space?
Yes that will be the suggestion for introducing young colonies -- to fill with a substrate of some sort. This way the colony can expand into the nest at their own pace. We will be introducing another 4x4 generic nest also as an option.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsOntario

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:58 pm

ooper01 wrote:
AntsOntario wrote:
ooper01 wrote:

Yes that will be the suggestion for introducing young colonies -- to fill with a substrate of some sort. This way the colony can expand into the nest at their own pace. We will be introducing another 4x4 generic nest also as an option.
Do I put in damp sand or just normal sand?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm

AntsOntario wrote:
ooper01 wrote:
AntsOntario wrote:

Personally, I would probably put in damp sand to provide some hydration. I would also introduce them into the lower 1/3 of the nest where the micro holes are for sustained hydration over a period of time.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsOntario

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:25 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm
AntsOntario wrote:
ooper01 wrote:
Personally, I would probably put in damp sand to provide some hydration. I would also introduce them into the lower 1/3 of the nest where the micro holes are for sustained hydration over a period of time.
Oh okay. I was also wondering why there are 3 shipping options. Does one work better than the other? If I choose the cheaper one, will my package come broken? (What are the differences)

AntsOnTheCoast

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:08 am

Disclaimer: I am not saying AntsCanada or Miket Bustos is in it for the money, neither am I saying that the formicariums here are bad.

The AntsCanada store has possibly the highest quality material for ant set ups online. I'm just saying that they seem too pricey, and so are others online.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am

AntsOntario wrote:
Oh okay. I was also wondering why there are 3 shipping options. Does one work better than the other? If I choose the cheaper one, will my package come broken? (What are the differences)
Global Express Guaranteed is a FEDEX service through the US Postal Service. The main difference between Priority Express and Priority is just the number of days it takes to arrive, 2-3 days versus 6-10 days. Also, there is a bit more insurance on the higher prices options, but that mainly applies to the shipper in our case.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

idahoantgirl

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you do this, remember that your visibility of them will be greatly deceased. they will probably just tunnel into the sand so you cant see them.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsOntario

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:33 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 am
[/quote]

If you do this, remember that your visibility of them will be greatly deceased. they will probably just tunnel into the sand so you cant see them.
[/quote]

So what do I do then? I don't know if it'll be a good idea to give them so much room.

AntsOntario

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:34 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am
AntsOntario wrote:
Global Express Guaranteed is a FEDEX service through the US Postal Service. The main difference between Priority Express and Priority is just the number of days it takes to arrive, 2-3 days versus 6-10 days. Also, there is a bit more insurance on the higher prices options, but that mainly applies to the shipper in our case.
Will you guys be introducing smaller nests? (For new queens/ small colony)
*Sorry for all the questions, but I might as well ask everything so we're on the same page haha.*