$

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

Serafine

Re: $

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 pm

You can always use larger test tubes (30x200mm works fine, especially for Camponotus because they grow so slow and such a large tube can hold a ton of water so it doesn't run out before they have a good amount of workers) to bridge the time between the small test tube and the nest.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 pm

AntsOntario wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:34 pm
Will you guys be introducing smaller nests? (For new queens/ small colony)
*Sorry for all the questions, but I might as well ask everything so we're on the same page haha.*
Yes, there will be one generic 4x4 inch Hybrid Nest that will be coming out as well.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsOntario

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 pm

ooper01 wrote:
AntsOntario wrote:
*Sorry for all the questions, but I might as well ask everything so we're on the same page haha.*
Yes, there will be one generic 4x4 inch Hybrid Nest that will be coming out as well.
At the same time as the rest of the nests? Also how many ants will it be suitable for? (Species)

AntsOntario

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 pm

ooper01 wrote:
AntsOntario wrote:
Also would you suggest I wait until it comes out, or should I just buy the current one? I mean this release date has been pushed almost a year haha! :D :lol:

Jadeninja9

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Serafine wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 am
You should add a small bag of sand-clay-mix or some other substrate to every nest.
It's also good for species that spin cocoons as they sometimes have problems spinning their cocoons in glass, acrylic or printed nests - not to much of an issue for Lasius, Formica and Camponotus which just make ***** pupae but I've heard from several people that some species when they fail to spin cocoons will just stay larvae forever.
Wouldn't it be pointless for a wood dwelling Camponotus species? Also, Camponotus have cocoons over their pupae. Well, at least mine do. I'm pretty sure all ants in the Formicinae subfamily have cocoons over their pupae.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

AntsOntario

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 pm
Serafine wrote:
You should add a small bag of sand-clay-mix or some other substrate to every nest.
It's also good for species that spin cocoons as they sometimes have problems spinning their cocoons in glass, acrylic or printed nests - not to much of an issue for Lasius, Formica and Camponotus which just make ***** pupae but I've heard from several people that some species when they fail to spin cocoons will just stay larvae forever.
Wouldn't it be pointless for a wood dwelling Camponotus species? Also, Camponotus have cocoons over their pupae. Well, at least mine do. I'm pretty sure all ants in the Formicinae subfamily have cocoons over their pupae.
Yeah. My Camponotus spin cocoons as well. Same with Lasius. I'm pretty sure it's just Formica that have issues.

Serafine

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Substrate is most useful for species that like it moist such as Myrmica. It just helps to keep humidity inside the nest much better.
For Camponotus it doesn't matter too much, if they can't spin cocoons they just pupate ***** - I had a ***** pupa in a test tube (that was before they filled the tube with sand and debris) and it developed as normal - but even for them it should be more comfortable. Camponotus, though dry-loving, often hydrate parts of their nest by spilling water at the bottom and that works much better when there is a substrate that can absorb and retain water.

Jadeninja9

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Serafine wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:27 pm
Substrate is most useful for species that like it moist such as Myrmica. It just helps to keep humidity inside the nest much better.
For Camponotus it doesn't matter too much, if they can't spin cocoons they just pupate ***** - I had a ***** pupa in a test tube (that was before they filled the tube with sand and debris) and it developed as normal - but even for them it should be more comfortable. Camponotus, though dry-loving, often hydrate parts of their nest by spilling water at the bottom and that works much better when there is a substrate that can absorb and retain water.
Oh, okay I see what you meant now. I thought you meant that all Camponotus species don't spin cocoons for some reason.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

AntsNewZealand

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:54 am
Serafine wrote:
You should add a small bag of sand-clay-mix or some other substrate to every nest. Not only does it improve the way humidity spreads throughout the nest it also makes it easier to take pictures (because if you try to take a picture of ants in a very light colored nest - or even worse a white one - usually all you get it a bright blob). A very small bag is sufficient, you don't need much even for an 8x8" nest.

Also it would be great if the nests could be plugged together seamlessly. You can do that with nests from SimAnts (you just need a small piece of tubing) but what I'm missing on those are some sort of clamps or a frame the actually keep the nests together - you can just pull them apart which makes it very risky unless you mount them on some sort of bottom plate. A small accessory piece mounted with some screws (or glued into place) at the edges could fix this.
Both great ideas! Including substrate can definitely be done. Might be too late for the clamped/locked connection of multiple nests during this iteration, but could make it into the next revision. I'm thinking the best solution for this idea would be some sort of frame that the hydration base fits into. The frame would then snap/lock onto another frame.

I think that they are going to do the idea about joining the nests, if you watch AC views Mikey say's 'theses smaller peg holes above the heating cables are there for some planned features which we will induction sometime in the future'.
The video 'MY FIRE ANTS' NEW ANT FARM!' at 5:40-5:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1wzWGmZXhE&t=349s

What do you guys and girls think?? is this what it's for?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 am

AntsNewZealand wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 pm
I think that they are going to do the idea about joining the nests, if you watch AC views Mikey say's 'theses smaller peg holes above the heating cables are there for some planned features which we will induction sometime in the future'.
The video 'MY FIRE ANTS' NEW ANT FARM!' at 5:40-5:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1wzWGmZXhE&t=349s

What do you guys and girls think?? is this what it's for?
The little rectangular hole near the heat cable tunnel will not be used for anything. We needed that only as part of the manufacturing process. I forgot to explain it completely to Mikey before he made the videos.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator