Are there patents?

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

Chewyrockafeller

Are there patents?

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:37 pm

I remember in one of AntsCanadas videos Mikey mentions getting the hybrid nests patented. Has this happened? I know patents can require extensive legal fees so I understand if little progress has been done.

I've search for US and CAN patents here but couldn't find anything.
http://www.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/eng/introduction.html
https://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/search-patents

Serafine

Re: Are there patents?

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:58 am

Depends on what exactly he wants to patent. The design with the heating cable port and the hydration chamber below the nest is very well-thought and most likely patent-able but I doubt that the chamber patterns themselves are patent-able (at least not for Europe) because other people around the world are doing similar stuff already. Also I think AC would need to expand a bit more (-> CETA) for it to be worth the cost.

Btw, can anyone tell me if I still have to pay EU tolls when ordering AC products? (theoretically EU tolls should be gone already?)

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:38 pm

Chewyrockafeller wrote:I remember in one of AntsCanadas videos Mikey mentions getting the hybrid nests patented. Has this happened? I know patents can require extensive legal fees so I understand if little progress has been done.

I've search for US and CAN patents here but couldn't find anything.
http://www.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/eng/introduction.html
https://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/search-patents
We have a "patent pending" status on several aspects of the Hybrid Nest.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:39 pm

Serafine wrote:Btw, can anyone tell me if I still have to pay EU tolls when ordering AC products? (theoretically EU tolls should be gone already?)
Not sure about "tolls", but there are customs duties/fees that the customer has to pay.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Serafine

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Shouldn't CETA have removed them by now? Everyone here in Europe is whining about but what it actually does right now? Nobody cares to tell you. I might actually have to call the customs department to get some useful answers...

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:04 pm

Serafine wrote:Shouldn't CETA have removed them by now? Everyone here in Europe is whining about but what it actually does right now? Nobody cares to tell you. I might actually have to call the customs department to get some useful answers...
Please share whatever info you are able to gather with us here... thanks!
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Serafine

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:05 am

So apparently the EU parliament still needs to greenlight the thing before the parts that affect EU stuff ONLY (removal of EU custom fees) can provisionally come to effect. This should take place in the first half of 2017 and remove EU duty fees (so no Christmas AC products for me, but maybe for my birthday at the end of march).

I have no idea if this affects national duty fees (like "Umsatzeinfuhrsteuer" in Germany which is essentially VAT for imported products) as well but I'm going to find out. Would be awesome if these would go away with EU duty fees as well.

After the EU parliament greenlit the EU-only parts ALL EU states (national and regional parliaments) need to agree to everything that does NOT affect EU matters only which may take up to 5 years (and most likely another round of negotiations), but that shouldn't have any further effects on AC exports to Europe.