Alate flight stage/outworld

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

Serafine

Alate flight stage/outworld

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:09 am

Hey AntsCanada, did you ever consider building a flight stage structure that can be fitted into the outworld so antkeepers can let their local species alates fly without having to fear that half the colony breaks out?

I'm thinking of something like a spiraling tower (for less climby ants like Tetramorium) that can be placed/mounted into the outworld (preferably with some pylons that reach out to the outworld's lower walls so it doesn't fall over if a slight wind blows).

Martialis

Re: Alate flight stage/outworld

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:00 am

Serafine wrote:Hey AntsCanada, did you ever consider building a flight stage structure that can be fitted into the outworld so antkeepers can let their local species alates fly without having to fear that half the colony breaks out?

I'm thinking of something like a spiraling tower (for less climby ants like Tetramorium) that can be placed/mounted into the outworld (preferably with some pylons that reach out to the outworld's lower walls so it doesn't fall over if a slight wind blows).
The alates typically do not fly in captivity.
Keeper of

Selliing:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Are you thinking that you would place your complete setup outside during nuptial flight season to allow the alates to fly?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Serafine

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:13 am

One outworld with a flight stage should be enough for them to get out.
Also if I place the entire setup next an open/titled window (like behind a wall where it doesn't get direct sunlight) during summer shouldn't that be sufficient for the environmental/pheromone cues to trigger?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Serafine wrote:One outworld with a flight stage should be enough for them to get out.
Also if I place the entire setup next an open/titled window (like behind a wall where it doesn't get direct sunlight) during summer shouldn't that be sufficient for the environmental/pheromone cues to trigger?
Hard to say if that would be sufficient for pheromone cues. We will keep the "flight stage" idea in mind though. Thanks!
~ ooper

Forum Moderator