RIP Solenopsis Queens

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

RIP Solenopsis Queens

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:21 am

So I just checked on my Solenopsis queens I found and two of them were dead. :cry: They were nothing but furry balls (molded) in the test tubes! The other 3 seem to be ok so far. Wonder what caused it? I know the test tubes were cleaned prior to them being put in there and the cotton came straight out of the package.

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Gregory2455

Re: RIP Solenopsis Queens

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:55 am

So sorry... :( These were Solenopsis invicta, right?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:59 am

Yep, I guess I should say "Native" to Alabama now beings you can find them every where here. LOL When they say invasive they mean it!

Evil little shits! :twisted: But I love them!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

larynx

Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:55 pm

was that big air bubble in the water there before? one of my solenopsis queens died, and she was in the only setup i made that had an air bubble. im pretty sure she dried out due to the air bubble. after that happened, i removed all air bubbles from my other setups and have had no deaths since. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Nope no air bubble. I always make sure of that and I push in cotton just enough to have the ant side just start to show moisture but not soaked. Why it happened kind behooves me. And two different queens from like 10-15 miles apart also, so no common area to create issues.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

KingAnt

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Sorry for your loss, but at least you have others to care for still! All hope is not lost.
Looking for a fire ant queen in Manitoba.

SweetDirtyTooth

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:57 pm

I once had a colony, all workers started to die one by one until the queen was left alone for about 2 weeks (all dead workers where removed) then she died. It was probably stress or something. Because I changed her test tube so it couldn't be mold.