RIP Carebara diversus (Pheidologeton diversus)

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

RIP Carebara diversus (Pheidologeton diversus)

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:29 am

Sadly, my latest Carebara (formerly Pheidologeton) diversus queen from a previous video has died of mites.

I need to come up with a way to protect my test tube queens from mites. They seem to be everywhere here in the tropics and difficult to keep away. Perhaps placing my test tubes in a container full of baby powder? I will need to try this next time.

RIP C. diversus
Ant Love Forever.

larynx

Re: RIP Carebara diversus (Pheidologeton diversus)

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 am

awwww. so sorry. mites are problem even in reptiles. :(
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

SweetDirtyTooth

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Bad news :cry:
Last edited by SweetDirtyTooth on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Sorry to hear that man! RIP little one!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Antscanada73

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Mikey isn't that the queen you had in the back of that cuboard and you said they are a hard species to look after

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:34 am

Antscanada73 wrote:Mikey isn't that the queen you had in the back of that cuboard and you said they are a hard species to look after
Yes, that is exactly who it was. So sad. :cry:
Ant Love Forever.

Antscanada73

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:08 am

Rip man hope you can get another and try again. P.S didn't you own one before that and you gave it some dirt but it had a mushroom growing out of it.

Cronolgical

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:47 pm

AntsCanada wrote:
Antscanada73 wrote:Mikey isn't that the queen you had in the back of that cuboard and you said they are a hard species to look after
Place the ants test tube chamber inside a very large zip-block bag. (Google "zipblock bag")
http://www.interplas.com/product_images ... k-Bags.jpg

They are very good at holding in more then enough air for an ant queen. My friend currently has 6 or so queens 3 of which have layed eggs inside these zipblock bags.

IF you're really worried about mites then tape the top of the bag with duck-tape and cover the rest of baby powder and rubbing alch. They won't go near the bag. It's a very secure way of holding the queen. And if you feel worried that she might run out of air for some reason? I mean barely any gets through the cotton. Just swap out the bag or even just open it up and let the air circulate for a few minutes before closing again. IF you get the right bag, or cover the bag in paper and tape you can actually keep her in a public place where you can always keep an eye on the bag. Just slip the test tube inside the bag and you're basically done!

No more R.I.P ants, use a zippy and cover it in babypowder/alch duck-tape the opening and leave her in a dark place. No more mites, no more dead queens.

Long live the Queen(s).

Antscanada73

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Cronolgical wrote:
AntsCanada wrote:
Place the ants test tube chamber inside a very large zip-block bag. (Google "zipblock bag")

They are very good at holding in more then enough air for an ant queen. My friend currently has 6 or so queens 3 of which have layed eggs inside these zipblock bags.

IF you're really worried about mites then tape the top of the bag with duck-tape and cover the rest of baby powder and rubbing alch. They won't go near the bag. It's a very secure way of holding the queen. And if you feel worried that she might run out of air for some reason? I mean barely any gets through the cotton. Just swap out the bag or even just open it up and let the air circulate for a few minutes before closing again. IF you get the right bag, or cover the bag in paper and tape you can actually keep her in a public place where you can always keep an eye on the bag. Just slip the test tube inside the bag and you're basically done!

No more R.I.P ants, use a zippy and cover it in babypowder/alch duck-tape the opening and leave her in a dark place. No more mites, no more dead queens.

Long live the Queen(s).
There will still be death the workers and when the queens time has come.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Cronolgical wrote:
AntsCanada wrote:

Long live the Queen(s).
Ahhh this is a great suggestion! Thank you.
Ant Love Forever.