Murdered by her own family

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

Re: Murdered by her own family

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:52 pm

washed her pheromones off. :geek: :?: :geek:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Mauritaniants

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:20 am

Very interesting find.
I never knew a quick wash would have easily washed off the colony scent off of an ant.
Thanks for sharing!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:15 pm

Are the pheromones water or oil based? If oil then it shouldn't have come off that easily. Hmmmmmm
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Gregory2455

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:18 am

I would not think pheromones come off that easily. In my opinion, what could have happened is that she smelled like your breath after you blew her off. It is quite like a baby bird being rejected by the mother after a human handling them. It is a good idea to leave ants that get wet alone and letting their fellow workers clean them off.

Gregory2455

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:02 pm

The water really did nothing. Ants get wet all the time.

Rovvov99

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:54 am

When she fell in the water she probably gave of some sort of danger pheromone and when she returned to the nest the other ants thought she was the danger.

New2Ants

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Gregory2455 wrote:I would not think pheromones come off that easily. In my opinion, what could have happened is that she smelled like your breath after you blew her off. It is quite like a baby bird being rejected by the mother after a human handling them. It is a good idea to leave ants that get wet alone and letting their fellow workers clean them off.
I just want to state that a bird would not leave its chicks because of their smell. Birds (except for vultures/ scavenger birds) cannot smell. Just saying. :)

Gregory2455

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:00 pm

New2Ants wrote:
Gregory2455 wrote:I would not think pheromones come off that easily. In my opinion, what could have happened is that she smelled like your breath after you blew her off. It is quite like a baby bird being rejected by the mother after a human handling them. It is a good idea to leave ants that get wet alone and letting their fellow workers clean them off.
I just want to state that a bird would not leave its chicks because of their smell. Birds (except for vultures/ scavenger birds) cannot smell. Just saying. :)
I was referring to the myth but yeah.

SkittlesH

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 am

Gregory2455 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:00 pm
New2Ants wrote:
I was referring to the myth but yeah.
you shouldn't spread the myth 100's of baby birds die cuase people spread the myth and people don't give their chicks back to their muma and papa

Gavinthesheep1234567

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 am

I know its terrible
Keeper of
Camponotus

As Mike would say it's Ant Love Forever :D