Why eat the queen???

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

Delphie

Why eat the queen???

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:25 pm

I caught the queen and several workers in May and kept them in a dirt nest. It wasn't healthy, and I couldn't feed them without causing them a panic attack, so I moved them into a small formicarium. The queen was producing eggs and pupae, the size of the colony doubled. And then, about two days ago, they ate her. I don't think the workers fed her. They refused to eat anything I gave them, including honey, insects, meal worms, hummingbird nectar, bread crumbs. Finally they discovered a taste for apples and their queen. Go figure.

KSkuroooari

Re: Why eat the queen???

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Delphie wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:25 pm
I caught the queen and several workers in May and kept them in a dirt nest. It wasn't healthy, and I couldn't feed them without causing them a panic attack, so I moved them into a small formicarium. The queen was producing eggs and pupae, the size of the colony doubled. And then, about two days ago, they ate her. I don't think the workers fed her. They refused to eat anything I gave them, including honey, insects, meal worms, hummingbird nectar, bread crumbs. Finally they discovered a taste for apples and their queen. Go figure.
Sorry. 😔

Delphie

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:44 pm

I have C. modoc and C. laevigatus colonies as well. I find them to be very mellow ants. The colony that ate their queen was Formica sp.

KSkuroooari

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Delphie wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:44 pm
I have C. modoc and C. laevigatus colonies as well. I find them to be very mellow ants. The colony that ate their queen was Formica sp.
They are totally mellow! But that's great for first-time ant-carers like my son and I. 😊

Do you have a journal going? We would love to see your C. laevigatus and C. modoc.

Delphie

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:50 pm

I haven't kept a journal, as I wasn't sure how successful this hobby was going to be. Last year I had access to more queens but they all died. Some were infertile and one was a parasitic queen. I can show photos of the most prolific modoc and laevigatus queens. The laevigatus kept her wings. Do you have any photos?

This is my poor queen which became dinner.

KSkuroooari

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:34 pm

All of our photos are here: http://imgur.com/a/T9abm.
And we started a journal here: http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4304&start=10

Thankfully, Batspiderfish identified them for us. The only major difference that I can tell is that Queen #1 (our C. laevigatus) is shinier than the other two. Our C. modoc is the one that held on to her wings.

Have you noticed any other identifying traits between the two species? I was hoping to use yours in comparison, but at first glance, I still can't really tell between the two. Then again, at first glance, I can't tell between a Camponotus and a Formica, even after knowing to look at the shape of their thorax. 😓

Delphie

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Mine were identified much the same way. Here and here:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3253&p=21184#p21184
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4339&p=27997#p27997

Identifying ants isn't one of my skills either although I can tell the colonies apart while feeding them.