First two queens, dead after 15 weeks.

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

BleedingRaindrops

First two queens, dead after 15 weeks.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:12 am

Well it looks like that's all she wrote. I found both Ashley and Brittany dead today. Their water is almost all gone, so I wonder if I should have checked on it sooner. I was about to move them.

Also I'm an idiot. I've been looking at them under a red light only, so I didn't notice that what looked like brood (and I had every reason to believe it was; same size, shape, color, etc) was actually mold. Ashley is covered in mold now, and Brittany had squeezed herself almost all the way out of the tube past the cotton, I think she was starved or dehydrated. I wish I had moved them last week, but sadly my first colony is dead before it got off the ground. RIP, Ashley and Brittany. You were fun to care for.

A sad ending to what had been an exciting first chapter in my antkeeping journey. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for more queens. It's about to be the rainy season, so hopefully there will be more flights soon.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.

Phoenix

Re: First two queens, dead after 15 weeks.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:55 am

Sorry to hear that, good luck with your future ant endeavors.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

jsantswag

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:12 pm

thats so sad.

Serafine

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:22 am

You can look at your ants under regular light if it's just for a few seconds once per week.

I recommend to thoroughly clean your hands before making a test tube, more often than not the mold that develops in a tube is brought in by the antkeeper in the first place.
Good luck with your next queens!