A very sad day!

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

A very sad day!

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:52 pm

So I can home and was going to feed my little ant family a cricket............ Only to find the entire nest over run with the common black ant (Sugar ants, piss ants, Pharaoh, Pavement, what ever you want to call them). And thru out the nest was parts of my Solenopsis ants spread all over..... including the queen and the little ants were carrying off the brood and going after the food in the out world. I had the air vents covered with very fine mesh (far too small for my ants to get out but not too small for the black ants to get thru), I even have the vents surrounded with Vaseline as a back up.

So my growing Solenopsis colony has been wiped out. I'm so mad right now.

All caught queens dead, colony wiped out........... not been a very good time. :(
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Antloveforever

Re: A very sad day!

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:38 pm

The name of the pavement ants is tetramorium

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:45 am

And I figured that it but was too mad to care about their name at that point.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

StrawHat

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:54 am

I sympathise with you Vampy, Both my Solenopsis and Otodomachus queens have been taken up to the big ant hill in the sky. My Otodomachus died from unknown reasons and my Solenopsis died from a mold breakout. Well, you can only hope for a better go at it next time, at least you get the experience on your belt. :|

CreeperUniverse

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:34 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:52 pm
So I can home and was going to feed my little ant family a cricket............ Only to find the entire nest over run with the common black ant (Sugar ants, piss ants, Pharaoh, Pavement, what ever you want to call them). And thru out the nest was parts of my Solenopsis ants spread all over..... including the queen and the little ants were carrying off the brood and going after the food in the out world. I had the air vents covered with very fine mesh (far too small for my ants to get out but not too small for the black ants to get thru), I even have the vents surrounded with Vaseline as a back up.

So my growing Solenopsis colony has been wiped out. I'm so mad right now.

All caught queens dead, colony wiped out........... not been a very good time. :(
Did you kill those little bastards? :evil:
Check out my YouTube channel, Arman's Ants.
https://***/armansants
Also feel free to check out the Discord server, Ant-Keeping & Ethology:
https://discord.me/ants

Batspiderfish

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Sorry to hear that. I remember I was raising a two-queen Lasius subumbratus colony and everything was going really great, but then a single Camponotus pennsylvanicus major fell into their outworld and killed every single ant in there while I was at work. You'd think a 40 worker colony would stand more of a chance. :(
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cale3459

Mon May 01, 2017 11:59 am

I had a growing colony of Camponotus that suffered a full on collapse within two days. Managed to get the Queen and a worker to move into a test tube with the two pupae she had and when I was disassembling the formicarium to clean it I discovered them nesting in the cotton. I'm pretty sure that's what nearly killed my colony.