Newly caught queens died

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

Carl75

Newly caught queens died

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:56 am

I caught some queens, but they died within a few days. I still have more, so I hope to get my first colony started soon.

Mauritaniants

Re: Newly caught queens died

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Sorry to hear that :cry:
Are you keeping them in a room temperatured place?
Are they in a test tube setup where the cotton may have been too damp and she could have possibly drowned?
Try to see where it went wrong so you could potentially prevent it from happening to your other ants.
Good luck!

Carl75

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:29 pm

They are in test tube setups in my bedroom. The test tubes are covered to make them dark. Don't think flooding happened. It may just be they were weaker queens.

formica123

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:26 pm

This has happened a lot with me this year, my last year, queens are also smaller this year.
My guess is the pesticides they're spraying round here this year is causing colonies to produce weaker, smaller queens.
After a few hours of mating 7 or so of my Lasius Niger queens just shrivelled up and died

Mauritaniants

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Carl75 wrote:They are in test tube setups in my bedroom. The test tubes are covered to make them dark. Don't think flooding happened. It may just be they were weaker queens.
Is it in an air conditioned room?
The temperature could have been a factor :?:

Carl75

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:31 am

The room is not air conditioned. We don't generally have air conditioning in our homes in the UK.