Death by drowning?

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

Mauritaniants

Death by drowning?

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:05 pm

I caught a couple of queens last week and I went and took a peek today at their test tubes.
One of the queen seemed to have died.
The queen is curled up on the water end of the test tube. My guess is I might have dunked the cotton into the water too deep and she drowned. Another theory might have been that since she still had her wings when I caught her is that her wings might have gotten wet from the cotton and she got stuck and was not able to move.
Has anybody experienced this?

I guess my takeaway from this is that when prepping your test tube set up, make sure to not place the cotton on the water too deep to where the surface would feel like a really damp swamp for your queen ant. Cheers.

Rovvov99

Re: Death by drowning?

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:03 pm

She probably drowned. Sometimes ants will try to "dig" into the cotton, but you shouldn't leave any water above the cotton. But now you know that for next time !

aidan0616

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 pm

A couple times some of my queens wigs got stuck to the side of the test tube from the cotton being too wet and the died.... :(

GriffinAnt

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 am

i had this happen the other day i invertaly upset my homemade tube keeper and by the time i moved it back to the hozitail i had all 6 queens drowning i did save three of them and hoping they will live :o

if anyone want see home made tube keeper made from cardboard or my home made outworlds using my old containers from when i kept mantis let me know

Mauritaniants

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:01 am

GriffinAnt wrote:i had this happen the other day i invertaly upset my homemade tube keeper and by the time i moved it back to the hozitail i had all 6 queens drowning i did save three of them and hoping they will live :o

if anyone want see home made tube keeper made from cardboard or my home made outworlds using my old containers from when i kept mantis let me know
I'm curious to see that.

GriffinAnt

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:42 am

having issues with posting pics from my photobucket

GriffinAnt

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:53 am

and smallest outworld i made

Mauritaniants

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Cool outworld.
I'm guessing there are test tubes inside those rolled up cardboards.

GriffinAnt

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:23 pm

yes there are.