Will's Camp. Pennslavanicus and Camp. Noveboracensis

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

WillWithAnts

Queen Penn and her crew eating breakfast!

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Before putting my small Camponotus Pennslyvanicus colony in the dark for a few days, I decided to feed them. I made some sugar water, about 8 parts water to 1 part sugar with 1 part melted gummy vitamin. I fed them a few drops and they filled up their social stomachs, fully drinking all I offered. The workers' gasters swelled like balloons :lol:. I also offered them a fly, which they nibbled on then later dragged to the queen so they could eat as a team. Here is some visual aid!
Look at those mandibles! :shock:
Later today they moved from the dirty test tube in the picture to a clean one I provided for them a while ago.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: Will's Camp. Pennslavanicus and Camp. Noveboracensis

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:19 pm

Ah man. These photos bring back some great memories of when I used to keep Camponotus. I'm reliving thise memories now through this journal. Great work! The colonies are promising for sure!
Ant Love Forever.

WillWithAnts

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:34 pm

AntsCanada wrote:Ah man. These photos bring back some great memories of when I used to keep Camponotus. I'm reliving thise memories now through this journal. Great work! The colonies are promising for sure!
I'll keep it updated! Queen Nova has 7 workers now so I wonder if she will hit 15-20 before hibernation so I can grant them access to the formicarium. She doesn't have any pupae but the has a large ball of eggs and small larvae. You think she'll beat the deadline?

WiseHollow

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Beautiful girl you got there. ;) I personally prefer larger ants. I feel it is easier to see into their little world. 8-)

WillWithAnts

Pill bug feeder colony

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:27 pm

Once my ant colonies become large and hungry, I am going to need a feeder insect colony to feed them. Yesterday I thought it was a good Idea to collect about 30-35 rollie pollies and stick them in a setup. I gave them a little habitat where they can eat, grow, breed and hide. As I thought about it today, I think I'm going to switch to mealworms. Take a look!
What feeder would work better; Rollie Pollies or mealworms?

antsbob15

Re: Pill bug feeder colony

Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:32 am

WillWithAnts wrote:Once my ant colonies become large and hungry, I am going to need a feeder insect colony to feed them. Yesterday I thought it was a good Idea to collect about 30-35 rollie pollies and stick them in a setup. I gave them a little habitat where they can eat, grow, breed and hide. As I thought about it today, I think I'm going to switch to mealworms. Take a look!
What feeder would work better; Rollie Pollies or mealworms?
Mealworms definitely

WillWithAnts

Mysterious Deaths and Crazy Ants. HELP

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:21 am

A couple days ago I say an ant that wouldn't come back into the test tube but instead she paced back and forth on top of the water supply she later went to the corner of the nest where she spazzed out on her back rolling and kicking until she calmed down and died. Another one is doing the same thing today. What is going on? They are both in Nova's colony and all the other ants seem to move slow. They seem sick. I have been feeding them sugar water, honey, and flies I gave them a clean test tube if they want it. Please help! :shock:

DankUser

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Loving this!

Please keep it going, I'm currently not in a position where I can have my own formacarium so this is gold! Absolutely love it, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this Journal! :D :D

WillWithAnts

Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Wow it has been busy around here... how about you guys? Update: both colonies have lost several members. Nova is down to 4 and Penn helped a (noticeably larger) worker eclose today, making a total of 5. :cry: The queens are now exhibiting the irrational movements and behavior, but I am hopeful they will recover. Patience is key. Ants can be tougher than we may think. Penn was wandering around the outworld on Wednesday night and Thursday morning, but she returned. It is now a waiting game. I've been feeding them flies I caught in a barn and froze, and honey. I also gave them some turkey. Suggestions/tips? Thanks.

WillWithAnts

Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Update: Queen Penn kicked the bucket yesterday :cry:. Despite that, two larger workers have eclosed since then. It will be interesting to see how far they get without a queen. I will continue to feed them. They got watermelon and spider this morning. Nova seems ready for hibernation, she moves slowly and rarely. She has 3 workers and no pupae. I will probably bring the colonies down to the basement in a couple of weeks. When it first snows, they are going in the refrigerator :).

On more optimistic side, a few weeks ago I turned my friend's aquarium to a kick-butt ant setup!
I can see the good times from here! Imagine having it in the living room!