HELP!!!!! QUEEN appears dead!!!

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

HELP!!!!! QUEEN appears dead!!!

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:08 pm

So I left for a few hours and because relatives are staying I had moved my colony downstairs into the formal room on a desk near a window. well apparently the sun changed directions and cooked my lasius neoniger queen! as soon as I saw her I put her in the fridge to try to revive her. she still apears dead. Is there anything I can do? she is my only lasius noeniger queen! she has thirteen workers and I want to save them as I spent a whole year nurturing them into what they are! Please please please help me!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: HELP!!!!! QUEEN appears dead!!!

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Sorry to hear for you loss. One of the dangers of captivity, they can't escape direct heat from the sun. :cry:
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Austheboss

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:21 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:So I left for a few hours and because relatives are staying I had moved my colony downstairs into the formal room on a desk near a window. well apparently the sun changed directions and cooked my lasius neoniger queen! as soon as I saw her I put her in the fridge to try to revive her. she still apears dead. Is there anything I can do? she is my only lasius noeniger queen! she has thirteen workers and I want to save them as I spent a whole year nurturing them into what they are! Please please please help me!
Did they make it? Just curios. If not, sorry for your loss.
Funny story, one of my queens I kept too cold and then it crumpled into a ball so I thought it was dead in the morning, so it tried to take it out and then it woke up and started scrambling around everywhere. Weird. :?
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

idahoantgirl

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Austheboss wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:So I left for a few hours and because relatives are staying I had moved my colony downstairs into the formal room on a desk near a window. well apparently the sun changed directions and cooked my lasius neoniger queen! as soon as I saw her I put her in the fridge to try to revive her. she still apears dead. Is there anything I can do? she is my only lasius noeniger queen! she has thirteen workers and I want to save them as I spent a whole year nurturing them into what they are! Please please please help me!
Funny story, one of my queens I kept too cold and then it crumpled into a ball so I thought it was dead in the morning, so it tried to take it out and then it woke up and started scrambling around everywhere. Weird. :?
no, she didn't make it. but my tetramorium coloney is prospering and has 25 ish workers!

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Austheboss

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:38 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Austheboss wrote:
no, she didn't make it. but my tetramorium coloney is prospering and has 25 ish workers!
I am not having the same luck. My tetramorium colony suddenly doesn't have one of their workers (I cant fid it's body either), and hasn't gained any more since the three emerged. Also, I think one batch of eggs got destroyed by mold, they are now orange. Their whole colony is crashing down. I don't know what to do. :cry: There's a good chance this one will fail, but on a camping trip I got plenty more queens. I'm still sad though.

idahoantgirl

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:33 pm

[/quote]
I am not having the same luck. My tetramorium colony suddenly doesn't have one of their workers (I cant fid it's body either), and hasn't gained any more since the three emerged. Also, I think one batch of eggs got destroyed by mold, they are now orange. Their whole colony is crashing down. I don't know what to do. :cry: There's a good chance this one will fail, but on a camping trip I got plenty more queens. I'm still sad though.[/quote]
I would make sure that your providing them with plenty of nutrients, make sure that they are in a dark, warm place, and i would change out the test tube if you are having mold problems. also it could be that they are just getting ready to eclose, they turn orange right before that happens.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Austheboss

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:59 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
I would make sure that your providing them with plenty of nutrients, make sure that they are in a dark, warm place, and i would change out the test tube if you are having mold problems. also it could be that they are just getting ready to eclose, they turn orange right before that happens.[/quote]

Nah, the eggs were like, dirty orange and definitely eggs not pupae, and right up against the mold. They also moved out of the test tube into some dirt, and left those eggs there. So yah. They were dead. But I have the dirt situation almost fixed. After a few days of forcing them to relocate from different ant hills (I feel kind of bad but I think it will work out) I have them stuck under this small piece of dirt in the corner, and I'm going to trap them there, and then pull the dirt off the top of their small cave and they will be forced to move into the test tube.
Also more workers are going to close very soon I think, there is still hope for this colony. They loaded up on cricket last night, as they dragged it into their cave (which I knocked down today). I put out some strawberry but I'm not sure if they ate some. Just in case I put out some honey as well, which they usually enjoy. I'm going to wait until tomorrow before I force the move just so that they don't freak out again. Does this sound O.K.? Thanks!

MCWren

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Austheboss wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
I would make sure that your providing them with plenty of nutrients, make sure that they are in a dark, warm place, and i would change out the test tube if you are having mold problems. also it could be that they are just getting ready to eclose, they turn orange right before that happens.
Nah, the eggs were like, dirty orange and definitely eggs not pupae, and right up against the mold. They also moved out of the test tube into some dirt, and left those eggs there. So yah. They were dead. But I have the dirt situation almost fixed. After a few days of forcing them to relocate from different ant hills (I feel kind of bad but I think it will work out) I have them stuck under this small piece of dirt in the corner, and I'm going to trap them there, and then pull the dirt off the top of their small cave and they will be forced to move into the test tube.
Also more workers are going to close very soon I think, there is still hope for this colony. They loaded up on cricket last night, as they dragged it into their cave (which I knocked down today). I put out some strawberry but I'm not sure if they ate some. Just in case I put out some honey as well, which they usually enjoy. I'm going to wait until tomorrow before I force the move just so that they don't freak out again. Does this sound O.K.? Thanks![/quote]
Don't force them to move! You might kill them! Just put a new test tube in the outworld and wait for the soil to dry out.

Austheboss

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Well, ummm... oops Mcwren. But, it actually turned out great. I didn't see this post in time, but I removed the ceiling of their small cave and having no other place to go they moved right into the tube. It took some time though, I think they dislike the test tube. They already knew about the test tube, I saw a worker look in there, but they still took literally 3-4 hours before giving up on the search for a home in different plots of dirt in the outworld and decided to move to the test tube. I have them drinking some honey, but yes, for future reference, I will not be doing this again.

In other news, I have a Formica subsericea queen with many eggs, and what I believe to be lasius neoniger, no eggs yet but caught last week around this time.
Good luck to you guys as well!

idahoantgirl

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Austheboss wrote:Well, ummm... oops Mcwren. But, it actually turned out great. I didn't see this post in time, but I removed the ceiling of their small cave and having no other place to go they moved right into the tube. It took some time though, I think they dislike the test tube. They already knew about the test tube, I saw a worker look in there, but they still took literally 3-4 hours before giving up on the search for a home in different plots of dirt in the outworld and decided to move to the test tube. I have them drinking some honey, but yes, for future reference, I will not be doing this again.

In other news, I have a Formica subsericea queen with many eggs, and what I believe to be lasius neoniger, no eggs yet but caught last week around this time.
Good luck to you guys as well!
if its lasius neoniger she will not lay eggs until after hibernation.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,