HELP!!!!! QUEEN appears dead!!!

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

Austheboss

Re: HELP!!!!! QUEEN appears dead!!!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:09 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Austheboss wrote:Well, ummm... oops Mcwren. But, it actually turned out great. I didn't see this post in time, but I removed the ceiling of their small cave and having no other place to go they moved right into the tube. It took some time though, I think they dislike the test tube. They already knew about the test tube, I saw a worker look in there, but they still took literally 3-4 hours before giving up on the search for a home in different plots of dirt in the outworld and decided to move to the test tube. I have them drinking some honey, but yes, for future reference, I will not be doing this again.

In other news, I have a Formica subsericea queen with many eggs, and what I believe to be lasius neoniger, no eggs yet but caught last week around this time.
Good luck to you guys as well!
if its lasius neoniger she will not lay eggs until after hibernation.
Oh, no wonder. I knew the species after some googling but the extra info helps.
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

idahoantgirl

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:12 pm

[/quote]Oh, no wonder. I knew the species after some googling but the extra info helps.[/quote]

yes. I kept lsius neoniger and they got to be about 13 workers. Then I did something dumb and left them out in the sun accidentally and she died. but yes, if it's lasius neoniger she will not lay eggs until after hibernation.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Austheboss

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:39 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
yes. I kept lasius neoniger and they got to be about 13 workers. Then I did something dumb and left them out in the sun accidentally and she died. but yes, if it's lasius neoniger she will not lay eggs until after hibernation.
Yah, I saw at the start. You should make covers for your nests, so even when you do something dumb they will still be fine. My problem is that I have a cat, so the cover for my outworld will have to be very secure, and I'll have to keep a spray bottle handy so she learns not to go there.
So when will she start laying eggs? And when did she have 10 workers? Thanks for the info.

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:35 am

Austheboss wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
yes. I kept lasius neoniger and they got to be about 13 workers. Then I did something dumb and left them out in the sun accidentally and she died. but yes, if it's lasius neoniger she will not lay eggs until after hibernation.
Yah, I saw at the start. You should make covers for your nests, so even when you do something dumb they will still be fine. My problem is that I have a cat, so the cover for my outworld will have to be very secure, and I'll have to keep a spray bottle handy so she learns not to go there.
So when will she start laying eggs? And when did she have 10 workers? Thanks for the info.
So, I here is a little time line.

Sept 9-- caught the queen.
February 25 ish--out of hibernation
March 3-- first eggs
June 1-- first nanitic
June 12-- second nanitic
June 20-- third and fourth nanitic
June 28-- fifth and sixth nanitic
July 9-- twelfth nanitic ( I went on vacation during that time so i don't know the individual eclosing dates of each ant)
July 13-- 13 workers. this day they died. :cry:

so there is a timeline for you. (oh, btw they were in a test tube setup this whole time as it is not safe to move a colony into a formicarium until they are at least 20 workers strong) as you can see they are pretty slow growers. not at all like my tetramorium colony that is 3 months old and already has 30 workers. also, here is the link to my journal on this forum for lasius neoniger where I harvested this info.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=575&hilit=Lasius+N ... al+journal

Hope I helped!

Idahoantgirl

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Austheboss

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:57 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Austheboss wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
So, I here is a little time line.

Sept 9-- caught the queen.
February 25 ish--out of hibernation
March 3-- first eggs
June 1-- first nanitic
June 12-- second nanitic
June 20-- third and fourth nanitic
June 28-- fifth and sixth nanitic
July 9-- twelfth nanitic ( I went on vacation during that time so i don't know the individual eclosing dates of each ant)
July 13-- 13 workers. this day they died. :cry:

so there is a timeline for you. (oh, btw they were in a test tube setup this whole time as it is not safe to move a colony into a formicarium until they are at least 20 workers strong) as you can see they are pretty slow growers. not at all like my tetramorium colony that is 3 months old and already has 30 workers. also, here is the link to my journal on this forum for lasius neoniger where I harvested this info.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=575&hilit=Lasius+N ... al+journal

Hope I helped!

Idahoantgirl
Uhhh... wow. Thanks, this really helps. You really didn't have to go through all the trouble of writing everything but thanks. Looks like I'll have to wait a VERY long time. Now I understand more why the queen dying would be so upseting, because you spent the last year developing the colony. Thanks again for the info! :mrgreen:

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:30 pm

[/quote]

Uhhh... wow. Thanks, this really helps. You really didn't have to go through all the trouble of writing everything but thanks. Looks like I'll have to wait a VERY long time. Now I understand more why the queen dying would be so upseting, because you spent the last year developing the colony. Thanks again for the info! :mrgreen:[/quote]
No problem! But if you dont know the species yet, then it could still be lasius niger. They look so much alike it can be very difficult to tell them apart.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,