Ants make sounds

Posts relating to ant science

Moderator: ooper01

Carl75

Ants make sounds

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:07 am

I have just seen a documentary on television and there was a parasitic ant species featured. When the parasitic queen was in the host colony nest it makes a clicking noise that simulates the queens clicking noise (both queens click sounded very similar when recorded and played back).

It confuses the workers the parasitic queen then kills the original queen as takes over the colony.

Rovvov99

Re: Ants make sounds

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:40 am

Interesting, I always thought that parasitic queens only used pheromones for distraction. But ants can make more sounds, workers of certain species can rub their hind legs together in a similar way crickets do to make a sound, it's called stridulation.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:44 am

Yea they do make sounds. There is a video documentary on Youtube about a full colony of leaf cutter ants that were brought into a lab to research it. They buried a ant and she called out for help (a distress call).

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Camponotus

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:34 am

MadVampy wrote:Yea they do make sounds. There is a video documentary on Youtube about a full colony of leaf cutter ants that were brought into a lab to research it. They buried a ant and she called out for help (a distress call).

I love that documentary.