Australian Ant Update

Posts relating to ant science

Moderator: ooper01

New2Ants

Australian Ant Update

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:20 am

Hey guys. My one year anniversary of being part of the ant family is coming up soon. I joined the forum just one year ago during my trip to Australia to study their native ants. And thanks to you guys, I've been able to grow in knowledge and as an ant keeper in general. I cant thank you all enough.
But anyway, I was able to see some pretty amazing species on my trip to Australia. An abundance of species, most I believe were a Lasius, camponotus and the amazing green weaver ant with its unique tree nests. But by far, the most amazing ant species I observed on my trip was iridomyrmex purpureus! I was totally blown away by how cool looking and how large their colonies are. It was just as fun to watch them wander around looking for fresh meat to bring back to their colony. Truly one of my favorite ants on my top ten list.
Thank you guys so much again. Best of luck to your ant colonies. Ant love forever :D

Martialis

Re: Australian Ant Update

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 am

I don't think there are any Lasius in Australia. Probably a genus that looks similar.

Other than that, hope you had fun! Didn't run across any Myrmecia, did you? ;)
Keeper of

Selliing:

New2Ants

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Really? I'm pretty sure that I saw an ant species that looked very similar to lasius niger. People confirmed and said that they * stowed * away on trade ships from Europe lol. Anyway, I didn't get to see any of the really cool looking ant species there, but I'm happy with the amazing unique ones I got to see.

Aussie

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:01 am

Would of likely been Iridomyrmex bicknelli or Iridomyrmex sp.

Iridomyrmex are abundant all over Australia and are arguably the most common ants, everywhere you look there are some form of them. Them and Rhytidoponera metallica (Green Head Ant) as well as Myrmecia are the three most common ants all across Australia.

KhaoticAnts

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:04 am

Could of been a prolasius species we do have those in Australia

AntsOnTheCoast

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Most likely an Iridomyrmex sp, since we have a lot of those.

Haven't seen any Lasius around here, but who knows.

CreeperUniverse

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am

New2Ants wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:03 pm
Really? I'm pretty sure that I saw an ant species that looked very similar to lasius niger. People confirmed and said that they * stowed * away on trade ships from Europe lol. Anyway, I didn't get to see any of the really cool looking ant species there, but I'm happy with the amazing unique ones I got to see.
A good way to know what lives where is using http://antmaps.org. It shows different species and where they were documented living in. I like using it a lot.
Check out my YouTube channel, Arman's Ants.
https://***/armansants
Also feel free to check out the Discord server, Ant-Keeping & Ethology:
https://discord.me/ants

antsRlife

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:50 pm

hey guys i'm actually from Australia so if you want to study them more just send me a message, i can show you some camponotus and myrmicia. :D
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

Bobrow

-

Sat May 01, 2021 11:39 am

Butt medic The Phlogistnator = sounds like the pyro update all over again.

Soo going to try this just to see if it will be as overpowered as it sounds. and to enjoy some rapeage while Im at it

danielw

Sat May 01, 2021 7:16 pm

I have 2 iridomyrmex purpureus colonies and they are by far my favourite. I have spent countless hours observing them. I also have a Rhytydoponera Metallica colony, they are very fascinating also. I have just acquired a Myrmecia pyriformis queen and hope to raise a colony. Austrlain species are very interesting.
2x iridomyrmex purpureus
1x rhytydoponera metallica
1x camponotus consibrinis
1x myrmecia pyriformis
1x iridomyrmex bickneli
2x pheidole sp