Looking for Research Ideas

Posts relating to ant science

Moderator: ooper01

DarkFalconer

Looking for Research Ideas

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi all, new to the Forums.

I am a degree student in my second year of studying zoo management in England. next year i'm starting my dissertation however i need to start coming up with ideas. I also work at a zoo that houses a colony of Leaf-Cutter ants (they are they amazing at escaping our island set up). i would like to do a research project into them however i'm struggling to come up with something. Was hoping anyone knows of an area of leaf-cutter that could be researched.

-I was thinking of testing their skills into overcoming barriers between them and food source.

Batspiderfish

Re: Looking for Research Ideas

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Maybe study them a little first? What kind of leaf-cutters are they? You can't know much about a particular kind of ant and not have questions about them.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Canadiananter

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:07 pm

I did a project on social parasitism in ants last year

MimzytheBun

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:49 pm

DarkFalconer wrote:Hi all, new to the Forums.

-I was thinking of testing their skills into overcoming barriers between them and food source.
Leaf cutters are fungus growers, which is a super interesting behavior. They also form body chains, depending on the subspecies which is also one of the coolest ant behaviors imo. I would be so excited to see if you could get them to form chains to forage for food with an overhang, but water blocking all ground access.

AuntLinda

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:55 pm

DarkFalconer wrote:Hi all, new to the Forums.

I am a degree student in my second year of studying zoo management in England. next year i'm starting my dissertation however i need to start coming up with ideas. I also work at a zoo that houses a colony of Leaf-Cutter ants (they are they amazing at escaping our island set up). i would like to do a research project into them however i'm struggling to come up with something. Was hoping anyone knows of an area of leaf-cutter that could be researched.

Mikey Bustos has a beautiful leaf cutter colony with a real tree encases in his living room. Their are some awesome videos.