Australia!!!

Posts relating to ant science

Moderator: ooper01

New2Ants

Australia!!!

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Hey guys! Im gonna be headed to Australia in a few days and I'm looking forward to all the different ant species there! I can't wait to see them in action :D :D :D Does anyone know what I can expect in Australia? Any species that I should look out for? I know that it is colder there around this time of year, but hopefully Ill get lucky and get to see some! Cant wait!!! :D

AnthonyP163

Re: Australia!!!

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:57 pm

Don't get bulldog ants, unless you have antler ping crazy in you. They are huge with huge mandibles.

KhaoticAnts

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:45 am

AnthonyP163 wrote:Don't get bulldog ants, unless you have antler ping crazy in you. They are huge with huge mandibles.
I have a nest of them in the bush behind my house not only do they have huge mandibles but their stings hurt so much, I know from experience.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:43 pm

New2Ants wrote:Hey guys! Im gonna be headed to Australia in a few days and I'm looking forward to all the different ant species there! I can't wait to see them in action :D :D :D Does anyone know what I can expect in Australia? Any species that I should look out for? I know that it is colder there around this time of year, but hopefully Ill get lucky and get to see some! Cant wait!!! :D
Should be warm there now actually as they are in the middle of Summer. ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Serafine

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:37 am

AnthonyP163 wrote:Don't get bulldog ants, unless you have antler ping crazy in you. They are huge with huge mandibles.
Actually they're rather undemaning to keep as they only grow to a few hundred individuals. The biggest problems are not their mandibles but their extremely slow growth rate and their phenomenal eyesight that makes it almost impossible to work inside the outworld (cleaning up and stuff) while they are around.