Freeze dried food source??

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Freeze dried food source??

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:21 am

So my family isn't too keen on having live crickets in the house or garage, but I know that ants do a lot better on a bug based died. So would freeze dried feeder insects be an option? I found that petco sells a freeze dried insect medley of mealworms, grasshoppers, and crickets. I haven't heard of anyone feeding their ants grasshoppers. Is there a reason why? I could also get a different insect medley which has freeze dried shrimp, mealworms and crickets. I probably would be able to get a small amount of live bugs every once in a while as a treat. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

idahoantgirl

Re: Freeze dried food source??

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:12 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:So my family isn't too keen on having live crickets in the house or garage, but I know that ants do a lot better on a bug based died. So would freeze dried feeder insects be an option? I found that petco sells a freeze dried insect medley of mealworms, grasshoppers, and crickets. I haven't heard of anyone feeding their ants grasshoppers. Is there a reason why? I could also get a different insect medley which has freeze dried shrimp, mealworms and crickets. I probably would be able to get a small amount of live bugs every once in a while as a treat. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
bump

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:59 pm

I don't have any experience using freeze dried insects, but I would say just go ahead and try them out and see if the ants like them. They should be pesticide-free if purchasing from a pet store. You just have to be careful with bugs you catch around the yard as they could have a small amount of pesticide that would be harmful to the colony.

For a week or so, I fed my Pogonomyrmex colony some house flies I would kill and noticed a significant number of dead ants during that time frame. As soon as I stopped doing that, the deaths stopped. I would estimate I lost 40-50 ants during that timeframe.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

idahoantgirl

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:02 am

ooper01 wrote:I don't have any experience using freeze dried insects, but I would say just go ahead and try them out and see if the ants like them. They should be pesticide-free if purchasing from a pet store. You just have to be careful with bugs you catch around the yard as they could have a small amount of pesticide that would be harmful to the colony.

For a week or so, I fed my Pogonomyrmex colony some house flies I would kill and noticed a significant number of dead ants during that time frame. As soon as I stopped doing that, the deaths stopped. I would estimate I lost 40-50 ants during that timeframe.
Okay, Thanks!

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,